detlef lili

Well Known Member
I am wondering how it works with the faa inspection before registering the plane? How does it work? What papers has one to have to show and is it necessary to have made pictures of how the building of the plane was made?
Where do I call the inspector to come along? :confused:
I?m sure somebody can answer me. For the time being I live in Germany but will build the RV7 in the USA.
Thanks to all.
Detlef

Registering a homebuilt

Hi Detlef,

It's pretty easy. There are videos, books, and websites that can explain the process.

Here's a video:

http://www.buildersbooks.com/how_to_license_your_homebuilt.htm

If you are member of EAA (recommended) then they have a lot of help on their website.

Essentially you need to:

1) get an N number (from the FAA website, 10 USD)

2) register the airplane when you are about 6 months from the inspection (a couple of forms, very easy)

3) get a DAR or FAA dude to come out and inspect the airplane when it is finished.

It is *nothing* like what it is in Germany or some other European countries - much easier!

Here is the source of information on the FAA site:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ion/aircraft_registry/amateur_built_aircraft/

It looks much more complex than it is. Don't worry, when you get the US there will be lots of people who will be happy to walk you through the process.

I think I'll spend this week working on Paper work. (while trying to glue 1/2 fairings to the wheel pants)

I need a bill of sale, I have an N number, got a DAR lined up (gary sobek), got a test pilot lined up, got a hangar, need to register with FAA and inquire about insurance....

what am I missing?

lili, read the excellent posts on Inspections up in the "best of Best" section too.

edit-- what's the bare minimum required on a DATA plate? I know a guy who put the wrong date on it and the DAR had him remove it.

The data plate must include; Make (builder), Model, and serial number. This information MUST match exactly the information on the registration. Other information is OK, but these 3 items are required. Dates are not required, but if you have them, they must be correct.
Mel...DAR