Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I used Jeppesen for 2 decades while I lived in California. What a deal, one
moderate charge for the Western States coverage and an occasional trip order
when going elsewhere. Retired moved to NW Arkansas and quickly found that Jep
chart service for this area is simply too expensive (by an unbelievable margin)
so I converted to FAA charts. I just order the cheap (?) little books for the
states that I'm going to be traveling across and throw them in the bag and
rarely use them. On Monday my plan was to fly to Wisconsin for the Northwoods
Race then to Williamsport for the Lycoming school then to Cleveland Texas for
the race there. I placed an order for a lot of charts both VFR and IFR and 12
books of Terminal Procedures next day air delivery. Tuesday they came after the
Lycoming school called with the dissassembly/reassembly course opening that was
like a hand grenade in my carefully organized plans so now most of them are just
updates to what I already have in current form. That's OK I should keep up to
date.

Last night after my all day effort to come up with a plan and make arrangemnts
to allow the race and school schedule requirements to be satisfied I opened the
big box that the UPS man brought to my door and I found my 11" high stack of
approach plates are Loose Leaf and not bound. I had that checked off in my
on-line order form but I though I would be safer time wise if I talked to a
person on the phone rather than depending on the cyber link to be processed by a
human when it came to their attention. Bottom line, I forgot to specify
"BOUND". I just ordered 3 binders to be shipped next day air since that should be
enough to cover my current need. OK HERE IT COMES ...

Do stationary stores sell binders or other suitable devices like loose leaf
rings That one could use to keep these thousands of pages organized?

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Sell? Probably, but I suspect as a custom order only.

I purchased these from Sportys many years ago and are still in perfect condition. They work very well. I only put the local plates in the page protectors.

8764.jpg

8770.jpg

8779.jpg

The bound books have worked well but ...

Thanks for the thorough approach response Bob. This may be a pivotal event for me instead of a bump in the road and your information makes it more likely.

Bob Axsom

I was thinking I had seen something like that

We have an Office Depot in town I think I will go buy a bag today.

Bob Axsom

After one long trip, I realized that an IPAD will save me lots of $$$, a few branches of a tree and lots of weight for all the charts and plates that will be needed in the future.

One of the best investment in accessories for the RV so far. And no gun needed for the punch holes.

After one long trip, I realized that an IPAD will save me lots of $$$, a few branches of a tree and lots of weight for all the charts and plates that will be needed in the future.

One of the best investment in accessories for the RV so far. And no gun needed for the punch holes.

I concur.....

What I didn't state is that all my plates going forward are on the EFIS or the iPad as backup. I can't think of a situation in which I would purchase paper plates again.

bob

I concur.....

What I didn't state is that all my plates going forward are on the EFIS or the iPad as backup. I can't think of a situation in which I would purchase paper plates again.

bob

Keep in mind, I'm not IFR rated yet, but wouldn't it be OK to just print what you needed off skyvector, airnav, or whatever? Maybe print your intended destination, alternate, another alternate and a couple stops on the way. Have those as back up for the ipad/tablet (or vice-versa).

Bob...

For the plates, you could always resort to tie wraps - just keep your head down in case someone has already broken out a "punch."

Enjoy the school. Assemble a group and try Johnny G & Joey D's Italian Grille
(761 West 4th Street Williamsport, PA 17701‎).

Dan

H-M-M

US Rifle Caliber .30 M1, 8 round clip loaded, gas operated, semi-automatic, shoulder weapon. I understand the simple stuff so I guess I will stick with the fool proof paper until some arrogant techi-tree-huggin SA society takes it away. IT'S A JOKE!

Bob Axsom

Keep in mind, I'm not IFR rated yet, but wouldn't it be OK to just print what you needed off skyvector, airnav, or whatever? Maybe print your intended destination, alternate, another alternate and a couple stops on the way. Have those as back up for the ipad/tablet (or vice-versa).

While your approach makes sense, the answer is not really.

What happens if you have an emergency and have to make an approach at an airport that wasn't one of the ones you identified?

btw, I do have two different electronic versions. The EFIS and the iPad. If both of them fail, I probably have other issues I'm worrying about. The iPad is actually my back up copy.