apatti

Well Known Member
Dwg 18 calls out AS3-063 to make the F804H Center Section Side Plate. The dimensions are 24 21/32 X 4 3/16. I have looked through the parts list several times and cannot find any AL sheet large enough to make one of these (let alone two). Can someone tell me which subkit the material is in?

F804H side plates

Tony,
Those two plates came with your wing kit.
They should have been in the center section
sub kit. Look on your wing packing list for
something like AS3 063x4/3/16x24+.

Pat

Harley is correct about the location of those two pieces of material. I would like to mention that on my kit and many others, we have found that the supplied material is a bit to short to entirely cover the area in question. This can lead to edge distance problems when you go to drill the side skins on. This area is an important strutural part of the aircraft. It helps distribute the weight of the fuselage to the wings.
I purchased additional 2024 T3 .063" aluminum and cut it to properly fit my F-804Cs. Just a suggestion and worth what you paid for it.
Charlie Kuss

Pat, Charlie,
Thanks. I did finally locate the sheets. Unfortunately, I used part of one to make some other parts. I guess I'll be ordering some more. While I am at it I will do as Charlie suggests.

Charlie,
Are you saying that the dimensions in the drawing (24 and 21/32) is too short or that the sheet Van's provided was too short? My 24+ sheet was only 24 and 1/2 so I would have come up 5/32 short myself. If you are saying the drawing is too short, do you remember how long you made yours?

Thanks again,

Don't know about Charlie, but like others have said, the material provided by Vans was tool small to cover flange to flange. I don't remember the exact measurement but it was a bit short. Some would say it is too short but I used it and didn't have a problem.

Cut to size, beat to fit, paint to match! That is the advice a friend who built an RV4 gave me. What he meant was, Vans stuff doesn't aways fit. So you have to fabricate or improvise so that these items do. The F-804H is one of these items. I can't recall if the called out measurements were to small. I do know that Vans supplied material WAS to small. I would suggest that you measure the dimensions of YOUR project and cut your pieces accordingly. Remember, you can always make the pieces smaller. It is much harder to make them bigger. :)
Charlie

F804H side plates

Tony,
My side plates fit good with good edge distance. Be sure to make the wood
spacers that clamp between the F804C flanges 2&7\8 inches thick. These hold the flanges at the proper width. By the way, I also cut one of the plates
up for something else.

Pat