dbaflyer

Well Known Member
What is the length of this doubler. The full size drawing shows 3 and 7/16ths. The R1 note says "Overall height F601Z; 4 13/32 was 4 7/32"

I also wondered how to locate the F-6122-1 brake bracket or does it now have to be in any exact location?

The dimensions on the drawing are correct. The R1 note covers four items, each separated by a semi-colon. So there should be four references to R1 on the drawing somewhere, one of which is the in section for F-601Z. The overall height for the F-601Z must have been omitted on the previous version of the drawing.

The mention in the R1 notes of "4 13/32 was 4 7/32" refers to another item on the drawing, which is a change in location of the nose gear access hole, see FIREWALL PENETRATION POINTS, DWG 19.

I don't think the position of the F-6122-1 brake bracket is critical. Use nearby stiffener rivet holes as references to position it. I tried to position it a closely as possible to the drawing.

Another thing to consider at this stage is if you are planning to install Vans gascolator, it is much much easier to install the the gascolator doubler on the firewall now versus later on. I think the gascolator doubler VA-161 is part of the firewall forward kit, but you can order it now and have it omitted from that kit later on.

Here is a photo that may help:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/images/Fuselage/DCP_2780.JPG

Another thing to consider at this stage is if you are planning to install Vans gascolator, it is much much easier to install the the gascolator doubler on the firewall now versus later on. I think the gascolator doubler VA-161 is part of the firewall forward kit, but you can order it now and have it omitted from that kit later on.

Here is a photo that may help:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/images/Fuselage/DCP_2780.JPG

Another vote for early doubler installation. Makes things easier down the road.

Fuel pump angle

Another note. I installed my electric fuel pump
exactly as noted in the plan. You will learn later that
It should have an angle more towards horizontal than verticle.
The problem occurs when you hook up the feed line from
fuel tank switch, you have to put a very tight 90 deg. Bend
in the line. When hooked up, the line rubs on the bottom skin.
You then have to make an additional slight compound angle bend. According to
Aircraft building manuals, this is a bad idea. Even a tight 90 bend is not
recommended. I had to buy a special 90 male/female Parker fitting to make a 90 d. connection I trusted not to leak. If I was to do it again, I would simply
Have the fuel pump mounted more horizontal only a few degrees.