David Paule

Well Known Member
I no longer need these books as I retired long ago and am now lightening my over-loaded shelves.

Strength of materials by Singer $5
This one is a rather good text. It's more about strength in structural elements than actual material properties.

Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures by Bruhn, $100
Bruhn is a classic. This was my mentor's copy. I'm hanging on to the later edition that I used in my own career. It's a comprehensive look, a text, at structural analysis for aerospace.

Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers 8th Ed. $50
If you need a quick background in any of the engineering fields, this is the book. But it's older than modern computational engineering.

Introduction to the Theory of Aeroelasticity by Y.C. Fung $10
Expect lots of math and theory.

Aeroelasticity by Bisplinghoff, Ashley and Halfman $10
Expect lots of math and theory. This is a well-known classic in the field.

Actual shipping costs are extra. If I can find suitable packaging for media mail, then that's cheap. If I wind up using Priority Mail boxes, it's more expensive.

Dave

I just checked my Marks Handbook. It is the seventh edition. I think I bought it while Neil was walking on the moon. I hate to think it will end up in a landfill someday. :cry:

I just checked my Marks Handbook. It is the seventh edition. I think I bought it while Neil was walking on the moon. I hate to think it will end up in a landfill someday. :cry:
Still have my Bruhn, barely holding together, bought new for $32.50 as an undergrad at USC. It's now 52 years old. Bought it right about the time I was at Rockwell observing frozen chickens being launched at what was to become the B-1's windscreen.

I don’t have the heart to part with my books!
I still have a lot of engineering and tech books but I was even worse than most. I still had some boxes with binders of class notes, homework, tests. etc. for a while. Don't know what the name of it is but I'm sure I've got some type of disorder.

Anyway, we were cleaning things out one day and one of the binders opened up; Advanced Aero I took when I started grad school. On the page was this big big matrixed, integral b@stard full of lower case latin letters. My ~10 year old daughter said "wow" when she saw it. I recognized my horrible hand writing but that was about it. Think I then choked back a little vomit that tried to make it's way up. At least I was able to throw that out. My daughter went into digital marketing and son into computer science so my tech library will probably also end up in the recycle center one day. At least the gas turbine and combustion related ones will be passed to someone here at work.

These are some of the engineering books I am hanging on to. These are NOT for sale. But if you're taking notes....

“Formulas for Stress and Strain,” 5th edition, by Roark and Young. This is a classic book for structural analysis. You should be able to find a PDF copy of the 6th edition on line somewhere.

“Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures,” Bruhn. My copy got me through 30 years of structural analysis. A classic, as previously mentioned.

“Aircraft Performance Stability and Control,” Perkins and Hage. A classic. You can do the basic aero design of an airplane using this and get it right, at least for common configurations.

“Fluid Dynamic Drag,” Hoerner, a classic for drag.

“ANC-5 Design of Wood Aircraft Structures,” available on-line somewhere, I scrounged my paper copy when I was still a teen. A very good into to some types of failure and some wood aircraft design issues.

MIL-HDBK-5 (now MMPDS), "Metallic Materials and Elements for Aerospace Vehicle Structures," is the standard for metals, rivets, etc. The various editions of MIL-HDBK-5 have somewhat differing presentations and it's worth downloading the earliest and latest versions. I prefer the earlier version for fatigue strengths, for example. Caveat, fatigue analysis is related to but different than crack propagation analysis. Pro tip: study Chapter 1, or you might easily make large mistakes.

“Airplane Structures, Vol II,” Niles and Newell, 2nd edition. You might have been exposed to the idea of beam-column structure, resisting both compression and bending loads. Here they are covered more broadly, and the book includes beam-tension loadings. I think you gotta be a structures guy to appreciate how fascination that can be.

“Airplane Structural Analysis and Design,” by Sechler and Dunn. Includes a lot of basic metal structures stuff.
But not always.

“Design of Welded Structures,” by Blodgett is readily available from The James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation. It’s decent structural design and analysis book, more general than might be assumed, and even today, remarkably inexpensive. They sell other useful books too: https://www.jflf.org/SearchResults.asp?Cat=81.

“Formulas for Natural Frequency and Mode shape,” by Blevins. What you use if you either don’t happen to have FEA or you’re in too much of a hurry to use that tool, but need to get close enough right now. This book doesn't tell you what to do with the information, you're supposed to know that. For someone new to vibration, get

"Vibration Analysis for Electronic Equipment," by Steinberg, 2nd edition. While it appears to be mostly applicable to electronics, it's more broadly helpful for any structure afflicted by vibrations. Caveat for this book and the Blevins book above, is that if you don't already know the vibration environment, you'll be at somewhat of a loss.

MIL-STD-810F, "Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests." And this gives you some representative vibration environments to go with the above books.

Dave

There are certain other books on composites and honeycomb structures that I didn't note here but which are useful.

Also, NASA has a number of documents which are handy. You'll probably need to go hunting for yourself though that's a bit of chicken and egg thing. Some of them are hard to find unless you know where to look. But you'll find things like material and fastener strengths or torques. I'm sure there's more, too.

Last edited:
“Aircraft Performance Stability and Control,” Perkins and Hage. A classic. You can do the basic aero design of an airplane using this and get it right, at least for common configurations.

“Fluid Dynamic Drag,” Hoerner, a classic for drag.
I kept those two and a couple others I might actually refer to. I'm not that sentimental.