mquam99

Well Known Member
I am at the point of fabricating F-996A, which includes a slight bend to match the bracket on the tank.

anyone have a suggestion on bending the angle. I have tried clamping it to my work table and using a padded wrench to bend it, but no luck. My other thought would be to clamp it in a vice and use a heavy mallet (sledge) to force it.

any suggestions??

thanks

nevermind

thanks all, after some more searching I found all the suggestions I need. My favorite was to lay it over some water pipe and drive over it with the car..

not sure I will employ this method, but it made me laugh

thanks everyone

thanks all, after some more searching I found all the suggestions I need. My favorite was to lay it over some water pipe and drive over it with the car..

not sure I will employ this method, but it made me laugh

thanks everyone

Well, at least now you know where the "Experimental" in EAA comes from!

I took 'em to a local metal shop ...

...who put 'em in a hydraulic break and bent 'em in about 5 sec each. No charge. :D:D

I put mine in a vise with some scrap aluminum skin pieces on either side so as to not scratch up the piece, and whacked it with a rubber mallet till it fit. It takes a pretty good blow, don't be afraid of it.

Worse case scenario - you bend it too far and have to rebuild it. Takes about 30 minutes and costs about $10 for the material. Ask me how I know... :cool:

finished

I did mine last night, used the method of putting them in the vise and using the jaws to do the bend. I had to use some pipe to get enough leverage on the vise, but the piece came out perfect.

Thanks

Open end adjustable spanners!

I put them in the vise and used two open end adjustable spanners ("Bahco's" ?) with a bit of tape on the jaws to bend them. It was easy.

Regards, Tonny.