Tom Gan

I have my elevator push rod's drilled but for some reason I can get them out to debur before riveting back into place. They went in tight but I didn't think that they would be such a bear to get out.

First method, I put the pushrod bearing in the vice, wrapped so that the vice did not ruin the bearings and tried to gently wiggle and pull it out. No go on that one.

Second try I put the aluminum pushrod in the vice wrapped in heavyweight rubber and put a box wrench around the bearing and tapped with a dead blow hammer. That gave me a small gap to work with. Next I used a BF screwdriver to gently pry apart. The picture below is what I have currently. I don't want to use the screwdriver method anymore because I don't want to mar the aluminum tube.

I don't think it is a good idea to rivet in place because I know there are burs
on the inside. Ideas ?

img3344u.jpg

bearing removal

Is the other bearing out of the push tube? If it is I would put the tube in a vise securely wrapped and put some sort of rod through the tube into the bearing and try tapping it out that way. You probably have a small burr where you drilled the rivet holes and these are running interference for you. That is how I would most likey solve a similar problem. Not saying it is the correct way of doing it.

bearing removal

Is the other bearing out of the push tube? If it is I would put the tube in a vise securely wrapped and put some sort of rod through the tube into the bearing and try tapping it out that way. You probably have a small burr where you drilled the rivet holes and these are running interference for you. That is how I would most likey solve a similar problem. Not saying it is the correct way of doing it.
'
When the bearing is removed, you should campher the inside edge of the tube slightly. The bearing should insert with just a little pressure if there is no interference with it. A deburring tool should work.

Unfortunately both rod ends are in place so I can't insert a smaller diameter tube and push it out that way.

Put bolt in the bearing

Put bolt in the bearing hole - put the AL tube in the vice and you have a hand hold to pull on.

Push it back in and see if you can break the burr loose, if not after pushing back in just rivit it in place.

Pat

I have my elevator push rod's drilled but for some reason I can get them out to debur before riveting back into place. They went in tight but I didn't think that they would be such a bear to get out.

First method, I put the pushrod bearing in the vice, wrapped so that the vice did not ruin the bearings and tried to gently wiggle and pull it out. No go on that one.

Second try I put the aluminum pushrod in the vice wrapped in heavyweight rubber and put a box wrench around the bearing and tapped with a dead blow hammer. That gave me a small gap to work with. Next I used a BF screwdriver to gently pry apart. The picture below is what I have currently. I don't want to use the screwdriver method anymore because I don't want to mar the aluminum tube.

I don't think it is a good idea to rivet in place because I know there are burs
on the inside. Ideas ?

img3344u.jpg

Throw out the rivet rules on this one. You're using a very long rivet that passes though a tube. It will swell on the inside as well as make a shop head. Find that in the AC! It's very difficult to squeeze and will want to heel over because you start with too long a protrusion to compensate for the inner swelling

Rivet as it is. Even if you do get it apart, you have to get it back - and aligned - with the holes. Did you make a witness mark?

Consider drilling an extra drain hole an inch or so in from each end. It also serves as a lube port for anti-corrosion spray.

John Siebold

Last edited:
Try Heat

I had the same issue today and after trying to remove the rod ends using various methods I used my heat gun to heat the tube near the rod end. It worked. Still had to work the rod end back and forth a little but they both came out with minimal effort.
Frank