tomagin

Made a beautiful cable anchor but when it was finished it was the mirror image of the plans. I'm sure I can make another one but this one might do the job. Fits fine in the throttle quandrant console but because it's the mirror image the three holes are approx 3/4 to 1in farther aft than the plans call for. Anyone advise if the cable hardware will work with the anchor farther back??????

If I'm picturing what you're saying right, I don't think you're going to like what I have to say....I know that I barely have enough room for cable travel up there as it is, and I'm not sure that moving the flange back at all would work. But I'm visualizing this in my head, so I could be wrong. All I can tell you is that my cable nuts are as far forward as they can go to get full travel....

Paul

Thanks for the comment. Probably it is where it is for a reason!!! http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01688ky4.jpg

If that image is at the end of the link you should see what I'm talking about. It is a picture of the assembly screwed together. The web on the F-864E-1 is on the wrong side and about 3/4 in closer to the throttle quadrant than specified.

Guess I better buy another cutoff wheel!

Tom

Tom, I think you'll find that the mount must be oriented the way it's shown in Vans drawings, for exactly the reason that Paul mentioned.

If it's any consolation, I made my first cable anchor the same way you did. :eek: Here's the log entry.

It's OK to build paperweights every once in a while. It builds character...

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Tom,

Hate to say it, but there probably won't be enough room - mine are pretty far forward too. There is quite a bit of rod end length forward of the mount and you need your cable mount to be far forward enough to allow full travel on the cables.

But hey, it sure looks like a nice piece though. Think about how beautiful your second piece will look ;)

Rob

What about trimming a little off the nutplate leg of the .032 (864d) angle that gets riveted to the 802 to get the 864e a little further foreward?

Or do you need the whole 3/4" between the 802 and 864?

Maybe 1/16"-3/32". Not a lot but if you don't need the space in front of the 864 then it might help.

You would obviously have to match drill the 864e after you trim the 864d to get the proper fit.

Thanks for all your advice.

It is not a big deal to make another one and it will be more beautiful than the first. As a paperweight it will be a constant reminder to slow down and be sure.

I also ordered the throttle quadrant with all associated hardware from Vans as I might as well just put it in when I finish the part.

Meanwhile time to start painting the interior so I can permanently install a few things --- including the throttle quadrant.

Tom

Tom,

Just FYI - if you order the upgraded quadrant you might want to wait to commit to final holes for the top cover plate until you receive the quadrant. Sorry, no plans in front of me for part #. So, hope my post makes sense.

With the standard Vans quadrant it works with no problem. With the upgraded quadrant (worth the extra bucks, I think) the quadrant sits a little lower in the mount so a lot of folks drop the cover lower by changing the mounting holes. It is a compromise, because you now have two holes next to each other, but it is a coverplate and not structural. Either that or the cover sits too high. Won't interfere, but doesn't look as nice.

I tried to find some close-up pix for you, but this is all I had...

http://www.taildraggersinc.com/Images/Gallery/N908RV/DSCF0625.JPG

http://www.taildraggersinc.com/Images/Gallery/N908RV/IMG_0511.jpg

Thanks Rob. I did order the upgraded quadrant. Not exactly sure what you are saying regarding where the cover plate ends up but I'll know in a week when I stick the quadrant there. Meanwhile have moved on to other things for a while!

Tom