rv8_builder

Drawing 71 specifies AN470AD3-4 (8 Places) to attach the Bellcrank rib to the baggage rib assembly.

I searched the hardware list but can't find these rivets :mad:

Is it OK to use flush rivets instead?

I drilled 'em out to #30 and used 4-4. I've never seen a 470AD3, nor do I own a AD3 cup set. So I made the decision to go bigger.

Joe

Drawing 71 specifies AN470AD3-4 (8 Places) to attach the Bellcrank rib to the baggage rib assembly.

I searched the hardware list but can't find these rivets :mad:

Is it OK to use flush rivets instead?

Andre,
I've got an older fuselage kit, which uses 1/8" angles, rather than the newer design. However, Installation is similar. My plans called out using AN470AD4 rivets.
Charlie Kuss

Thanks

I ended up using AN426AD3's.

DSC02643.JPG

The top inboard rivets were a little tricky but I shot them with the back rivet set after removing the nylon sleeve.

Must be a newer kit. I haven't seen this before. Mine are the 1/8" aluminum angles like Charlie said. This must have changed with the match punched kits.

Wonder how autopilot servo is mounted with this arrangement. When I did my Trutrak made new angles to incorporate the servo mount and bellcrank mount as one unit.

Are you putting an autopilot in?

Ted

Trutrak AP

I'm putting in an AP into the new PP kit. I've fitted the TT mount angles to nestle into the existing PP 'angles' shown in the post about and then used longer mounting screws as appropriate. I think there's a pic on my kitlog somewhere. Haven't done the final fitting yet until I get the canopy work done, then the aft fuse stuff finished and can remove the boards.

Older, Prepunched style photos

Guys,
These are photos of my non matched hole (aka pre-punched) 8A bellcrank area. I don't have the money for a TruTrak autopilot now, but I plan to install one later (after I rob a bank!). The TruTrak version of the F-818C, is slightly longer than the stock units. Note that it extends further aft of the F-8-8 bulkhead, unlike the stock parts.
Charlie Kuss

altrakmodifiedf818csrea.jpg

fusedmainpower.jpg

Jeff

Kind of off topic from the original post. Since he figured out his rivets I don't feel like I'm hijacking his thread.

Anyway, How did you make those sharp cornered angles lay into the radius of the new style kit bellcrank supports?? Seems to me you would need formed radius angles to mount the Trutrack so they would sit in the bellcrank mount radius?? If you radiused the Trutrak angles to fit the bellcrank support radius it just doesn't seem that there would be any angle material left in the corner.

I looked at your kitlog and it doesn't look like you modified the Trutrak angles.

I wonder if Trutrak has addressed this with their mounting kit.

Ted

No autopilot

Must be a newer kit. I haven't seen this before. Mine are the 1/8" aluminum angles like Charlie said. This must have changed with the match punched kits.

Wonder how autopilot servo is mounted with this arrangement. When I did my Trutrak made new angles to incorporate the servo mount and bellcrank mount as one unit.

Are you putting an autopilot in?

Ted

Hi Ted,

No, we're not installing an autopilot.

Grind the back

Kind of off topic from the original post. Since he figured out his rivets I don't feel like I'm hijacking his thread.

Anyway, How did you make those sharp cornered angles lay into the radius of the new style kit bellcrank supports?? Seems to me you would need formed radius angles to mount the Trutrack so they would sit in the bellcrank mount radius?? If you radiused the Trutrak angles to fit the bellcrank support radius it just doesn't seem that there would be any angle material left in the corner.

I looked at your kitlog and it doesn't look like you modified the Trutrak angles.

I wonder if Trutrak has addressed this with their mounting kit.

Ted

Ted,

I had to do this to get the Dynon brackets to work on my QB (new kit) You just round the back corner off until it lays flush with the existing bracket. I showed what I did on my site. When I received my brackets the instruction were detailed for the old kits. I told Dynon I would show them how I made it work, and they promised me new brackets if i messed the first set up. If you go to my log page (link is in my signature block), on the right menu is a Dynon selection, this will show you what I did.

There is plenty of metal left after the radius, at least on the Dynon brackets, they are made from 1/8 angle.

Cheers