ccarter

Well Known Member
Any RV-7 QB guys care to share their experience on how they "Removed the Shaded Area" on the F-779? (DWG-27). It is necessary per Van's drawings to properly mount the tail wheel assembly? I thought I could measure and draw it out from the outside underneath the elevated tail cone and go at it with my cut-off wheel while laying on my back... :p

That's how I did mine. Use the template on the plans. I think I had to enlarge it a bit from that but it is a good starting point. Don

Make a template.

I made a photocopy of the scale section of the drawing, and then punched holes on the lines of the copy. I then taped the template to the skin, and could shuffle it this way and that to get it in the right place, and used a fine point sharpie through the holes to transfer the patter to the aluminum. Cutoff wheel used for the rough cut, and a dremel bit and emory cloth to fine tune the fit and clean it up. You'll probably have to enlarge it in certain places for the best fit, which is a relatively easy iterative process.

Good luck.

aluminum cutout

Draw your hole with a sharpie felt pen. Cut out an undersized hole. Chuck a carbide bit and rough finish. File and sand. Done.