rwhittier

Well Known Member
I want to make some of my antennas internal, for example the 496 GPS antenna and its XM receiver antenna. Also probably a Sat phone antenna. So I was thinking of the following and wanted some input.

Cut holes in the top of the F-732 channel (of course put a radius where the hard corners are drawn) that attaches the tip up roll bar to the bulkhead - in the hatched areas. Those hatched areas are 3 3/8 inch square as drawn, but could be made rectangular too. My GXM30 XM antenna is at the airport, but I think it is wide enough to work. I still need to check that.

F-732.jpg

Then build a shelf under it (mid channel) that the antennas can sit on (that make the antenna flush with the channel so it does not interfere with the rear plexi) and look up at the sky through the back plexi. I had always intended to enclose the bottom with a cover anyway, so between the cover on the bottom and the angles to build the shelf in the mid part of the channel I cannot imagine it would weaken the structure - in fact done correctly it could be stronger.

If its been done sorry, I did not find it in my searches. I did see shelves built off the side of that channel, but this seems as effective and cleaner.

Comments?