Trooper11040

Well Known Member
So I’m upgrading the entire panel on an RV9A I purchased last year. The plane overall has been flawless, and build quality has been excellent. I removed the entire panel this week in preparation to upgrade my entire avionics to a G3X setup and noticed that the stringer F-7107 was cut prior to make room for whatever was there prior to my ownership. Is this going to cause me any issues down the road? I did message Vans Builder support as well just to ask the question but I know there are many knowledgeable builders in this group. Thanks in advance!!

Dan

Attachments

• 1B822AFD-A044-4CCF-84FE-F7DA44D0EF8E.jpeg
    1B822AFD-A044-4CCF-84FE-F7DA44D0EF8E.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 507
I'd scab in a doubler for the F-7107 and also for the sub-panel which is cut at the bottom.

Those pieces are there (with flanges) to add rigidity to the forward fuse and panel. You want that rigidity.

Exactly

Make sure that the sub panel is also reinforced; there are some good references in the plans and AC41-13. It is preferable to use an angle over just a flat doubler...

I've read others who had to relieve those ribs to clear avionics. If memory serves they fabricated alternate ribs.
Sorry, I can't find anything with a search.

Just me

I added a angle to strengthen. The near rib is from the backside it it is the same style as the center rib, which you can see clearly. I did this to get the G3x screens up as high as possible.

Attachments

• 1B19C0DB-E472-454D-988F-B2B38116B8E9.jpg
    1B19C0DB-E472-454D-988F-B2B38116B8E9.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 268
and then...

and then there's that firewall insulation... any bets on that stuff being fireproof?

given the other hacks... I doubt it.

From a structural standpoint the trimming done on the two ribs at the top of the instrument panel are not a concern, but the big chunk out of the bottom is.
A repair should be made to replace the continuity of the flange across the entire bottom of the subpanel bulkhead.

From a structural standpoint the trimming done on the two ribs at the top of the instrument panel are not a concern, but the big chunk out of the bottom is.
A repair should be made to replace the continuity of the flange across the entire bottom of the subpanel bulkhead.

The plan during this new upgrade is to add a support to that entire bottom sub panel

Yea but how would someone gather that my firewall insulation wasn’t done properly from that little photo? Lol

Someone more knowledgeable than I discussed firewall insulation on the aft side. Their point was that a raging fire forward of the firewall could heat up the firewall and that the attached insulation could also get hot.

I'll let you find the thread -- the search function and I are not friends...

Where are you seeing the firewall insulation in the photo I posted?

The stuff that looks like aluminum foil at the bottom of your picture. I suspect the foil is just a backer for something.

From the tests that have been done, 99% of firewall insulation will ignite if you hold a torch to the engine side. Typically with lots of smoke.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=112905

Google: site:vansairforce.net firewall insulation test

Last edited:
It *could* be. Pretty easy to look at. *would* makes some assumptions about the person doing the pre-buy.

I actually brought that up to the IA who inspected this plane yesterday. He never noticed it but I do remember him going under the panel looking. The original wiring under there was not exactly neat and orderly where it would have been visible easily. I’ve been flying this plane for almost 2 years with no issues there so I’m not overly concerned but now that the panel is open and apart, I’d like to fix it

Some people have already pointed out to the things need attention, including the firewall insulation. Considering this type of workmanship, it may be not bad to have a good look around once again for hidden things such as these.

Some people have already pointed out to the things need attention, including the firewall insulation. Considering this type of workmanship, it may be not bad to have a good look around once again for hidden things such as these.

Like wiring rubbing on control linkage. In the wings, under the seats, and the elevator bellcrank....
and into the rudder

Last edited: