Mike Ice

Well Known Member
Hello,

Yesterday I got to the point in the build where I needed to join the rudder cables to the rudder pedal assembly. On the drawings, dwg 37, it shows that a part is made, F-6119 a rudder cable link, but my cables reach the rudder assembly and don't need that part.

I bolted the cables right to the rudder pedal assembly using the proper called out bolt, washers, castle nut and pin.

Is there a problem bolting the cable directly to the rudder pedal assembly? Will this make the connection weaker?

Thanks,

Mike Ice
RV-9, should take this assembly of parts to the airport this next week.

Maybe...

.....they'll be too short to reach the rudder horn. Have you checked? We needed them on our -6 and most all -7's I've seen use them.

Regards,

Wow, you must be short, with those pedals installed way back. I don't see any problem as long as everything lines up and doesn't bind at the extremes of travel. I'm assuming you have tested the fit with full seat cushions installed.

Unless you have a forked end fitting on the cable you'll be putting the joint in single shear instead of having it evenly balanced as with the pair of F-6119 links. You might then bend and break the lug on the rudder pedal and tilt the bolt over at an angle, especially if it is loose enough to pivot as it should be. Everything will feel less firm and be half as strong.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Finishing Up

Last edited:
Unless you have a forked end fitting on the cable you'll be putting the joint in single shear instead of having it evenly balanced as with the pair of F-6119 links. You might then bend and break the lug on the rudder pedal and tilt the bolt over at an angle, especially if it is loose enough to pivot as it should be. Everything will feel less firm and be half as strong.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Finishing Up

What Jim said.
You need to at least make some very short links.

Too far away.

Looks like you are in Alaska. If you were closer, I would volunteer to help you shorten you cables. I have an MS Swager.

yes, I am short, but

Thanks for the replies.

Mel, I thought about the swager but didn't want to get too radical and cut the cable right away.

Scott, I am 5' 8" I just like the rudder pedals to be close, it suits my stlye of flying.

Pierre, I already have the cables attached to the rudder horn but thanks for the thought.

Jim, I thought there might be some problems with a side load on those bolts and your comments support that idea.

So... I guess I will look at moving the rudder pedal assembly back just a little and make up some short (vs hot) links.

Fitting the rudder fiberglass tip this morning. Hope to get this plane fledged out of the garage and off to the airport this next week.

Mike

welding

Rivethead,

While the welding idea is certainly viable it isn't the best right now. To weld on this assembly, I think, I would have to take the assmbly out of the aircraft. My welding skills are good, but not that good, to allow me to weld in the aircraft up under the instrument panel.

Mike

Another idea.

This is a little hard for me to describe so bare with me. What if you made yourself a T shaped tab long enough to wrap around the rudder peddle tube with some to spare. Then in the T portion of the tab you make a slot that allows you to slip it over the existing cable attach tab. Then bend the tab around the tube and adjust the new tab to shape then drill the required hole and attach the cable between them. Not perfect but a little better.

F-6119 ideas

RH, Hmm! I see what your saying and it does seem like it would work. But I think I will adjust the seat back a little and see about moving the entire rudder pedal assembly a little forward first.

Scott McDaniels, I agree.

Thanks once again,

I was able to get most of the fiberglass tips fitted yesterday except for the rudder bottom.

Mike