Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
As I have mentioned before I want to make the F-428 step, the 4th picture here into a small storage area. Anyone got a picture of how they did this? Was the result satisfactory. Were you able to open it or did your leg block it in practice.

Thanks again.

Seems reasonable. Hinges on one side and a butterfly-twist nut (like on glove-boxes) on the other.

Consider doing the left side though. If you ever want to install your switches on the side-arm... all the wiring will go through that cavity. At least that's how mine is. My left is empty... hmmm.

-Bruce

It's in the hole...

As part of the installation of the Safe Air One (see link on this site) aux fuel tanks in the RV4, the plans require removing and hinging the same steps for access to the aux tank fuel valves. "Cheese" Wilson and "Hollywood" Hansen came up with the mod 4 years ago when designing the prototype tank setup on their RV4s. Theirs (and my) steps hinge inboard (ie away from the fuselage side). The side benefit is the space for a tool bag, Ipod, batteries...contraban (just kidding)or whatever. I also hinged my battery box cover and use the space underneath as fwd baggage and moved my odessey battery to the firewall. This was the single best mod besides rear pax footwells I made to the airplane.

Seeya!

RR

Bruce - thanks for the thoughts. My plans for electrics are a bit different. Anyway, its done now see here for my implementation. There is more room in there than you think.

Hi Tech...

Nice website Steve! When I started my RV4 MS DOS was considered High Tech! The footwell storage is not a new idea and it works great. My neighbor put floor storage under his back seat with hinged doorsl...When I'm solo, my passenger footwells work great for stuff too, be sure and put those in..

RR