chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
AS I begin remediation of the part built kit I have acquired, I am trying to understand the instructions and plans - which seem much less informative than the RV-8.... but then that's part of the fun!

The plane was shipped without any bolts in the rear WD409 mount - so the tailspring has forced its way up through the F-412 which now needs to be replaced.

THe instructions refer to the "dual bulkhead...F412....riveted together with the flanges bent to 95 and 85 degrees....." and then this will provide the double flange with the two rows of rivets that I can see?

SO just to confirm that I will need to order 2 F-412 from Vans? Its hard to see how its been assembled - I think I'm correct but would just like confirmation.

I also will need to replace the aft deck F-419 as there is a very large hole in it - way bigger than 4" diameter which the plans show. But that looks straightforward.

Thanks

Chris

RV-4 - under construction
RV-8 G-GIGZ - flying and sold

Thanks for help

SO just to confirm that I will need to order 2 F-412 from Vans?
That's correct, the two get riveted together back-to-back so you end up with a bulkhead with flanges on both sides. It's called out on DWG 24. My tail is off, I can try to get photos if that would help but it might be difficult to see much.

I am trying to understand the instructions and plans - which seem much less informative than the RV-8...
Welcome to the party :D At least now you don't have to hear "You're the builder, *you* figure it out." when you call for support. :D

Thanks for confirming my understanding of what I need to do. My drawings are 1992 vintage - seem a little short on detail but I'm slowly finding my way around them.

I'll be fine without photos, thank you for offering - once I get the old. damaged one out all will be clear. I'll post photos of the damage later, mainly as a warning of why those bolts should be in before you transport your pride and joy from your garage to the hangar.....

Just to add a little spice I thought I would make the f-419 rear deck, F-425 top rear skin and F-422B front bottom skin from scratch. They need to be replaced and this way I can begin to think I am a real BUILDER and not just an assembler!

Chris

Just to add a little spice I thought I would make the f-419 rear deck, F-425 top rear skin and F-422B front bottom skin from scratch. They need to be replaced and this way I can begin to think I am a real BUILDER and not just an assembler!
As far as I know F-419 and F-422B are not available prefabbed so you're 'stuck' cutting them even if you didn't plan to. 422B was so much fun I made two. :( F-425 is available 'pre-rolled' but still needs a lot of trimming and shaping and shimming to get it on. You will definitely be a builder when you're done.