gblwy

Well Known Member
Probably only of interest to European builders...

I ordered, and received the avionics kit including the Mode S transponder. The avionics plans include two pages, 42-07 and 42-08, specifically for installing this transponder. The plans require you to replace the original F-1202K Instrument Stack Supports with different ones, presumably because this transponder runs deeper into the panel shelf. The replacement brackets are F-12328-L and F-12328-R. These brackets were not included in the avionics kit, nor indeed in any of the other kits.

I have advised Vans.

Cheers...Keith

Van (Gus) has confirmed that they have not yet made any of these brackets so far.

They also have not shipped the 90 deg adapter, ES 5329517, shown on 42-08.

Euro-flyers should check inventory and, if necessary, request these parts.

Note also the warning in the plans about using only the foreward of two holes in the panel base for routing wires downward and backward. I guess the transponder conceals the aft of the two holes.

Keith...who would gladly swap CA taxes for UK VAT and maritime weather ;-)

Keith,

I'm about to install the wiring from the finish kit. I also need the mode S transponder. Have you already installed all the wiring and avionics? And was the forward hole big enough for all? Maybe a picture and an update about the replacement brackets?

Thanks, Joeri (Netherlands).

European wiring

I did the wiring ages ago. I believe I got all of the wires in the one hole, but had a **** of a job popping the grommet back in the hole. I'm not looking forward to adding a further two wires for the lights kit. Just checked my log (www.mykitlog.com/grmps) and I could not get the autopilot disconnect cables in the same hole. I'm hoping that there will be enough clearance around the second hole with the transponder in place to accommodate these cables. We shall see...

I have not installed the avionics yet (hopefully within 2 weeks) so I'm not sure whether the stuff supplied for the European Mode S transponder is OK.

Cheers...Keith