Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Anyone out there hook up their EZ Pilot to their Garmin 296 and the 296 to their GRT EFIS. I will be installing the GRT Sport when it arrives. I have the wiring harness now and I need to figure out how the G296 gets connected to the GRT Sport. I figured out the connection between the EZ Pilot and the G296. Garmin Data out 1 Blue wire to the Blue/white wire on the EZ Pilot harness I got fron Stein. Now, how does the G296 connect to the GRT Sport?There is a DATA out 2 wire on the Garmin. What is that used for.

Looking forward to some help. I would call GRT but it is after 5:00 and I want to do some wiring tonight!!

Jeff Vaughan :

GRT Hookups

Hi Jeff,

I have a similar setup with the GRT Horizon EFIS. The sport may be a bit different, but the concept is the same. I connected the data out from the 396 to one of the data-in lines on the EFIS. In the setup menu I then selected NMEA GPS for the associated serial input. Also, on the 396 I had to set up the output to match.

Next for controlling the autopilot I took one of the serial data-out connections and ran it to the data-in on the EZ-Pilot. The EZ-Pilot uses a GPS signal, so I just set up the EFIS to ouput the GPS data. I think the EZ-Pilot instructions told me what to set.

I wanted to be able to control the autopilot from either the EFIS or directly from the GPS, just in case I had trouble with the EFIS. So, I put a toggle switch that allows me to choose the data coming from the EFIS, or directly from the GPS.

http://www.my9a.com/finish13.asp

Regards,
Mike Schipper
RV-9A - N63MS - Flying
www.my9a.com