I've flown a friends -4 with a couple of these pointed at the panel and they work really well. He has them hooked through a dimmer and I always turn them down. I like them a lot, small, compact, and work well. I bet you'd like them as well.

I used two of them in my Rocket and yes, I liked them. I prefer them on a dimmer and I used the dimmer often, especially when it is really dark out. I think it is a simple and elegant way to light your panel and would do it again.

I have been using them for 15-years. The WHITE light ones use to burn out all the time. The new RED ones are LED. The RED does not need a dimmer. They work but two of them in an RV-6 makes you night legal but not the best if you do or plan to do a lot of night flying.

IF I had to do it over, it would not be my primary panel lighting.

They work...but there are newer alternatives

I've got a couple in the Val, and they still work after 7 years...I think. I never use them because when I fly at night, I wear a little headlamp to light the cockpit when I need light, and the EFIS doesn't need light to read. You can buy LED's on stalks (laptop computer lights) that plug into a USB port that make great map/knee-board lights - and they cost $5.

Everything that we "knew" about cockpit lighting methods and requirements has changed with the advent of "self lighted" instruments (ie, EFIS displays) and the invention of tiny LED's. Don't be afraid to experiment with new ideas in this area - fixed lighting is awfully old fashioned... ;)

Last edited:
Not Good

I installed an opposing triplet in the sidewalls of a -7. The oval light fields' illumination was both too little and too much, depending on distance, and too pin-point, even several feet from the unit, to properly light the panel. Worse, the reflection bounced right back into the occupant's eyes. All this will somewhat depend on how deep the source is within the round fixture tunnel, but I wouldn't expect even illumination, and/or you'll need a lot of them. The last four projects use glareshield top-down illumination; vastly superior.

John Siebold

Last edited:
Wow, I'm really surprised by some of the comments. I must have gotten real lucky on my installation. I'm guessing a lot has to do with where and how you install them. On the Rocket, it's fairly narrow so two, one each mounted in the rollover bar, worked great. On the -9, it may be more difficult to find a suitable location to light the middle of the panel.

I agree with Paul that there's some new stuff to look at. I've seen some very elaborate solutions but experience has taught me that simpler and fewer is better over elaborate and expensive.

Good luck with your choices. Lot's of options to consider.