dpansier

Well Known Member
Question for the computer people, could a EYE-FI Wireless SD card be used in the new EFIS units to replace the data storage card?
Couple of thoughts:
It could send flight data back to your home computer every time it was near a WIFI network.
If the aircraft was stolen it could send the location back for tracking.

Kahuna is right. The EFIS unit would have to be programmed for that particular SD card. Although SD was originally invented for storage, it has been used for quite a few other things. For example, here on my desk I have an SD RFID reader and barcode scanner.

Eye-Fi does pictures (jpg) only

I have the original Eye-Fi and Eye-Fi explore. They're great for a camera.

The Eye-Fi servers block all transfers that don?t appear to be JPEG files created by a camera. Apparently the file name, file type and the actual file contents are examined by the server to ensure this.
Since the files pass through the Eye-Fi system, I believe the files are also checked there as well.

The range claims to be 45 feet indoors and 90 feet outdoors, the range on mine seems to be around that, leaning more on the less side.

Not entirely true

The data on the Eye-Fi does not necessarily go through their servers. I have used my Eye-Fi shooting events with the eye-fi, and my computer completely off the grid.

However, they do not transfer any non-image data. I have a video camera that takes SD. The card will transfer images, but not video.

Thanks for the answer to my question, sure would be slick if it did work as most FBO's have WIFI now.