Tim Fitzpatrick

Looking for input on putting a second wing vent that will be for the back seat. It will basicly mirror the right wing vent, however it will be in the left wing. I have all the extra stuff to put one in. I will be putting on the left wing bottom skin soon, any thoughts?

Tim Fitzpatrick

Am I missing something?

Why???????

Unless I am missing the point, I share jthocker's question. The right wing vent provides air to the back seat, the vent on the left side of the fuselage takes care of the front seat. This design came about because there is no easy way to get a duct through the spar structure.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Not to pile on, but I agree with Jon and John - it shouldn't be hard to add another vent, but I don't think that you'll need it. I was worried about there being enough airflow for the back seat from that little vent, but that was before I had flown an RV - the airflow at RV speeds is significantly more than what you get in low-speed aircraft, and seems more than adequate.

Granted, I only have one ride in the back seat of an -8, but I am always careful to ask my back-seater's if they have enough airflow, and so far, they have all said yes.

Paul

While I agree completely with the others, I will add one comment. A wing vent on the left side could easily pick up heated air and exhaust because of the airflow rotation.

While I agree completely with the others, I will add one comment. A wing vent on the left side could easily pick up heated air and exhaust because of the airflow rotation.

I second Mel's comment...It is the reason that the NACA inlet was put on the right wing in the first place.
Also, there is a lot of high presure air on the bottom of the wing. With just one inlet there is an abundance of vent air.

Thanks for the responses

Thanks guys that is the info I was looking for. That is what is so good about this site, sounds like no need to put one in

Tim Fitzpatrick

We put one in, but it is not really necessary like the other posters admitted. If I had flown in an RV8 prior to installing it I would have known this and saved the time and trouble. You get plenty of airflow from one outlet.

I never thought about the exhaust issue, I will try and check that out next time I fly. Maybe I can get a gas monitor from work and see if there is a difference.

I agree that the PAX in a -8 doesn't need any more fresh air than is provided by the standard set-up. I'm putting an under wing NACA duct in the left wing to feed fresh air to the pilot. I'm placing it one extra bay outboard than the right side that feeds the PAX. I am not penetrating the spar; rather placing the air vent between my legs blowing up. My reasoning for the more outboard placement of the intake follows the others' exhaust concerns; and my reasoning for not putting any holes in the fuselage behind the engine is safety in the event of an engine fire. Different way to skin the cat ??