MikeyDale

Well Known Member
I am planning my switches for my panel. VFR with two Dynon 10" screens. I am utilizing the VPX Sport. The VPX has 10 programmable switches and I can reconfigure them at any time on the EFIS. I need 8 and would like to include the two extra switches in the panel so I will have them in the future in case I add something later. Will I have trouble with my DAR because of not having a function or label on these extra switches? Could I label them Aux Switch or something of that nature? Thanks in advance!:)

The extra switches will need to be labeled some way.
You can use anything you want. But every switch needs to be labeled.

Last edited:
How about just a blank until it is needed?

I am using the VPX and cut all the switch holes but did not install unused switches for now, blanking with the small chrome snap plugs.

GH

Ok, Im putting them all in. I can assign them to something that really doesnt need a switch and change it when I need to. Thanks guys!

Label it something creative, like "MISSLES ARMED", "BOMB BAY DOORS", or "EJECTION SEAT". :D

Don't forget that you can assign any new devices you connect to the VP-X to the existing switches, or set that device to be on whenever the master switch is on. So in most cases you won't need a separate dedicated switch.

Also, you can turn a device on or off via the EFIS, so depending on what the future new device is that may be an option as well.

If you're short on space, perhaps one spare switch (instead of two) will suffice. :cool:

We always try to convince customer to put in at least one extra switch and 1/2 extra breakers...labeled "SPARE". Later on it can be changed to whatever widget you decide to hook it to.

Cheers,
Stein

I get a lot of laughs (or worried looks from passengers) about my "Pilot Eject" switch on the panel. Like Mel says, every switch needs a label!

Another option is to measure out the location of the extra switches and from the back side of the panel just start drilling the holes with a #30 drill bit but don't go all the way through the panel.

That way, when you need to install those switches it will be easy to finish drilling the #30 holes from the backside and then drill them to final size from the front with a Unibit. I did this on my switch sub-panel and it worked great.

We all do it.

We all do this. I have 6 extra hole with caps covering them on my arm rest. If one is needed down the road, they are there with the spacing to match the rest of the switches. To pass muster you can take a 3/8" tape letter gun and put,
"SPARE" next to the switch or hole. The tape comes back off when you want to use this location for the real deal some day. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888