Wardo

I?m considering putting a second pilot vent on the right side of the plane. Obviously this would require an additional naca vent on the right side of the fuselage unless a ?Y? could be added to the left side scat tube.
Has anybody done this and if so is there enough air coming through the left side naca to supply two vents.
The downside of adding a naca on the right side of the fuselage is having to forfeit the room in the baggage compartment.

My RV-8 has separate NACA on left and right. The problem for me has not been the baggage space issue (my O2 bottle is vertical in the "well" of the foreward baggage compartment). My problem was the placement of the vent head in the pilot compartment. It was originally terminated right on the right side tower. My shin hit it during strong cross wind landing. I've had to move it and the options have not been satisfactory.

Lot's of folks put smaller eyeball vents on each side of the panel in the -8 (commonly on the fixed side "wings"), and feed them from a Y-connector off the standard left side NACA scoop. there is plenty of air from that source - sometimes the air is hot for those of us in hot climates, but getting MORE hot air isn't going to do much good....

Just my experience,

Paul

"Y" a single NACA vent to two cockpit vents

This is commonly done on the Glasair III since there is a large oil cooler which exhausts on the right side of the cowling. The RV is a fast plane and the NACA ducts supplied by Vans are very efficient. The "Y" is a fast, easy and inexpensive way to get the ventilation you need. I would try it first. You can always go to the added trouble and expense of cutting a hole in the airplane for another NACA duct if it does not work. If the "Y" does work you will be glad you saved the time and money.

I have a "Y" in mine and one of the smaller (and nicer) vents on each of the side instrument panels. They fit well. There was plenty of room behind the panel. The material is very light. So, I just used tie wraps to secure it.

I find that there is plenty of air. I can't see where a second scoop would add anything.

I added a second vent to the right side of my -8 and have been very happy with it; the inlet is up high and far enough back so that the lower "well" portion of the baggage area is still usable for smaller items. The scat tube length is maybe a foot or so and the vent outlet is terminated on the aft bulkhead wall adjacent to the right gear tower... no interference issues at all with my right leg. It flows a lot of air and can be directed either straight at me or down the right side towards the backseater.

Wardo,

Look at the RV 10 Vent in the Vans catalog.

Maybe that will work. Very easy to use and build.

My .05

I have a "Y" in mine and one of the smaller (and nicer) vents on each of the side instrument panels. They fit well. There was plenty of room behind the panel. The material is very light. So, I just used tie wraps to secure it.

I find that there is plenty of air. I can't see where a second scoop would add anything.

Do you have a source for the "Y"? I also need to split for my vents on each side of the panel.

Thanks,

Scott

Two

Wardo,

I added a NACA on the the right side and I have to large vents I purchased from Stein mounted on the "Wing" part of the panel.

I am very happy with this arrangement up here in he northeast.

Lots of air!

Regards,

Does anybody know of a reducer? I have to transition from the the standard 2" scat down to a 1.5" vent connection.

Is there a ducting source other then ACS?

Thanks,

Scott