detlef lili

Well Known Member
Hallo everybody!!
Has anybody build an extra fuel tank in the wings of RV7 ??
I want to have a total of 80 gallons in the wings.Who has done this??
Detlef :confused:

A guy in Oklahoma who has built many RVs and was the first to build and fly the RV 10, (which holds 120 gallons of fuel) extends the leading edge fuel tanks the whole length of the wing. Each wing has two leading edge fuel tanks connected by a hose. You fill both tanks form the outboard tank.This should give you about 80 gallons on the RV7. I want to do the same to my RV7 and been trying to contact him. I don't want to give his name until I talk to him and get his ok ( I'm sure it will be ok, he has been very helpful with many local builders).

Jim

Is there an larger bladder I can surgically install?

80 gallons in a typical RV is about 8 hours. Are people interested in larger fuel capacity so that they can fly longer legs, or to avoid refuelling where it's expensive (or unavailable?)

Extra fuel tank RV7

Hi Jim,
Well I hope that he can help us!
Wait for your answer. I will receive my wings mid July, and therefore I need to know what else to order for the extra fuel tank.
till soon!!
Detlef :)

Long range tanks

As Scott pointed out, I did something like this on my RV-9A. I wanted more fuel capacity but not twice as much. I looked at what others had done and decided to do it a little different. I created a single piece leading edge skin and expanded the tank out 3 additional bays on each side, adding 18 more gallons total.

The process to do this is simple, HOWEVER, bending the aluminum leading edge skin is nearly impossible without the right equipment. I made a homemade contraption that I finally got to work (scrapped one skin trying) but I really can't recommend it. If you can find someone with equipment to bend the leading edge skin, the rest is easy. You'll also need someone to bend new back baffles.

If you want details, email me or look at my website, I have a blog dedicated to the fuel tank construction.

Maybe you could buy a RV-10 LE skin for it's fuel tank and adapt it to your situation. Might not be 80 gallons but will certainly be alot.

Almost with off the shelf

I expanded my fuel capacity to 55 Gallons with Bladder Buster tanks from Reed Mfg. in Grants Pass, OR. (at the tips - add 9 inches to each wing). These add a total of 17 gallons. I had thought of replacing the regular tips with Jon Johanson's tip tanks (from Australia) which would take the total to around 72 gallons (certainly not all usable) but so far I don't need it. I would link the two tanks at the tip but retain separate plumbing and control for the mains. This is strictly a straight and level flying configuration for obvious reasons and the leading edge tanks are a better way to go if you can manage the construction process. I would not link the leading edge tanks nor give up the individual tank control. I have a separate fuel filter for each tank and redundancy to the fuel valves. In my valving configuration the positions of the controls are intuitive (but marked anyway), no two tanks may be selected at once and there is one position for fuel off. It has worked very well so far (three trips between california and Arkansas and two between Florida and Arkansas are some long trips in the plane). The old saying goes "You can only have too much fuel when you are on fire."

Bob Axsom