tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I have two wires left over after wiring my GRT EIS.

One is for carb heat the other is for coolant temp. I don't need either. The obvious thing to do is cut them off. Before I do that, I am wondering if there is some other use for those sensor wires??

Save them.

Here is what I did..............

Put some heat shrink on the end of each one, to make sure it cant short out.

Coil up the extra wire, label them, and tie off somewhere out of the way.

You may find a use for them later, and the weight penalty is nill.

They can be used for whatever purpose you program into the EIS, IIRC. The default uses of water temp, and carb inlet temp are just to make things easy if they are needed.

Last edited:
Unused Wires

Put some heat shrink on the end of each one, to make sure it cant short out.

Coil up the extra wire, label them, and tie off somewhere out of the way.

You may find a use for them later, and the weight penalty is nill.

They can be used for whatever purpose you program into the EIS, IIRC. The default uses of water temp, and carb inlet temp are just to make things easy if they are needed.

A word of caution: It's generally a bad idea to leave wires to electronic equipment disconnected and/or coiled up permanently. The reason being is that these wires that aren't terminated (connected to a completed circuit) can essentially act as antennas that may either transmit electronic "noise" as RF interference to your intercom or radios, or they can receive RF signals and cause erroneous readings on your EIS. If you don't plan on using those channels, it's really best to use a pin puller to remove the wires and contacts from the DB25 connector shell. You can save the wire and contact to reinsert and use in the future if you eventually need it.

Skylor

yea mike, you getting any "noise" in your headset?
img0791ky.jpg

Mine are removed...

10 minutes to reinstall if I ever need them. So, it goes both ways as usual. Do what you feel is best for you.

yea mike, you getting any "noise" in your headset?

Yes, as a matter of fact there is a rather irritating noise that I am still trying to figure out the source of.

Sounds like I need to get out the de pinning tool.

Thanks Skylor and Turbo, hope this turns out to be the source of the gremlin.

GRT told me both can be used for other temp functions. The carb temp works with an additional OAT probe if you wanted to measure the temperature of air coming out of the oil cooler, or the engine compartment etc. The coolant temp signal could be used for additional oil temp probe at the outlet to the oil cooler. I have bought extra probes to do just that but have not done the installataion yet.