RyanM

Well Known Member
I managed to put an extra dimple next to the hole I really wanted to dimple. What is the best course of action to fix this? This is the leading edge rib - top side aft most hole.

I was thinking of drilling out the dimple, and/or flattening it. Then making a small doubler for the flange and rivet the doubler using two flush rivets to the flange in between the aft most hole, and the 2nd aft most hole., and then riveting the skin through the rib, and the doubler for the aft most hole.

Or, I can always order a new rib.

Last edited:
Not a big deal. Flatten it, Dimple the intended one and forget about it.

You'll be the only one that knows its in there and even you'll forget it about after a while. Heck I'm sure I did it once and have no memory of its location.

Steve
7A
Flying

Welcome to The Club!

We definitely beat them guys "200 Knots Club" by membership :D
You can fabricate a mini-doubler if you want. Or just flatten this one and continue...

Nothing burger....

Doubler or not...no big deal at all. Don't you dare order a new rib for this!!! :) Wait until you REALLY mess something up!:D

Medal of Honor!

Almost all of us has done this.

At first your badge is a "Metal of Horror":eek:

Relax, you seem human, it is now a "Medal of Honor!":cool:

You are fortunate it was not a top outer skin.

Now you've done it! ...better order a whole new kit and start over! ;)

I concur with everyone one above. It's your first lightning hole! Flatten it out, debur it and build on!

- Peter

Beat your chest

Whats the best course of action?

Wear the pledge pin with pride! and welcome to the fraternity.

I've got two of these pledge pins.

How do you suppose most people would feel about buying an expensive certificated airplane that came off its production line with ignored yet easily repaired structural flaws?

It is your airplane and you are free to either "build on" or take the small amount of time it takes to fabricate a truly professional repair. Besides, ignoring the problem is not exactly consistent with common sheet metal repair procedures as typically called out in AC-43. Based upon my years in a production shop and the discipline that goes hand in hand with such employment, this is an example of the type of repair that would normally be expected and I would certainly do the same for MY airplane. Its a pride thing. Using scrap 90? stock and taking all of 15-20 minutes to accomplish, the result would be a repair that is certificated-worthy and acceptable to any picky IA.

We are all experimental builders here. In the end we can do whatever we want knowing full well that quality begins and ends with the personal effort we are willing to build into our work.

20qdwyv.jpg

Most of us take great pride in the planes we're building...pride in knowing that EVERY rivet meets spec and that every sub structure is a good as we can make it. Even if it means spending an entire day undoing and redoing something that wasn't as perfect as we could make it. (which I've done) The fit and finish on my aircraft will be as nice as everything else I own. ...or I won't be interested in owning it.

When I called Van's after my first of two (and hopefully only two) extra dimpled holes, they recommended flattening it out and deburring. If I knew how to fix it in 15 minutes I would have. They didn't guide me in that direction. In fact, when I pushed him on ordering a new part because I was so upset about the mistake, I remember him telling me, "you're building a tractor not a Swiss watch".

If I ever build again, I'm sure my knowledge base will be such that I'll be comfortable spending the hour (15 minutes x 4) exacting this repair vs. working on finishing another part of the plane as Van's recommended.

- Peter