Subwaybob

Well Known Member
Please tell me all the goodies you can think of that have or wish you did.

(Please exclude engine size/type and glass cockpit. As I am putting an ECI Titan 188hp injected with cold air sump and a G3X system with autopilot and traffic)

Building a RV-7 slider and have though of...

1. Parking brake- Matco (May not use much but I don't use my .45 much either, until I do...) I know that off subject but ONE DAY I WILL park on a hill and voil?!!! Parking brake.
2. HID lights with wig
3. Bonoco hoses
4. New tail wheel for from Alex D. at RVTraining.com
5. Vettermans exhaust
6. Hooker Seat belts and full interior with some sound proofing
7. Maybe the slider / tip up option
8. Aero LED position lights and strobe

If there is ANYTHING else that you can think of that is useful please let me know. 1st build, so all helps. Thanks in advance!!

Deluxe locking fuel caps
Andair fuel selector
Heated Seats
Steinair Vents
APRS tracker
Electronic ignition (replacing at least 1 mag)
Smoke system if you're into that sort of thing
Plenum and upgraded oil cooler

Alodine and 2-part epoxy prime EVERYTHING :D
Little wheel up front :D

For my slider 7

I have done a center console with throttle quadrant, quick release push pull pins to anchor the front slider bow, andair fuel selector, camlocks on the top and bottom of the cowling, hidden hinge oil door, as well as numerous minor building mods.
I still have a wish list, but any mod slows down the process and I want to fly this thing in my lifetime

Adding...

Adding:
Locking fuel, Stein vents, Smoke system, Hidden hinge door...

Already have in mind:
P-Mag

I don't think so on the center comsole. I really like them just not enough room for me. (Read: cuts my width room down) I will in the 10 though.
Camlocks I thought were a given. How does Van have you put the cowl together? (I'm not there yet so...)

Keep em coming Please!

Oxygen is an absolute must as are sheepskin seat covers, a fire extinguisher would be good to have, and some sort of collision avoidance system.

Map pockets and glove box and that's right, probably neither will see maps or gloves, but probably both will be full of useful things.

A good non-spiral-wire tie-down kit.

A pee bottle.

Dave

Bob,
Pick up at least two of these. One on each tank. That Titan is thirsty.

oilwell.jpg

Sorry could not resist :D All good suggestions.

Consider

upgraded brakes and wheels from Grove. Standard master cylinders are fine if you add helper springs to ensure the brakes fully release. Plan for 2nd alternator or second battery if you're going to fly any significant IFR. Look at aeroelectric connection for electrical system and antennae planning.

Look at Vertical Power's products...VP-X or maybe VP-400. I'm installing a VP-200, no longer offered.

I'm installing separate baggage lights and cabin lights, the latter in both red and white. White baggage and cabin lights on before start and after shutdown, red cabin lights on during flight (dim). The nice thing about the VP-200 (or -400, but that's far more expensive) is they have provision for all sorts of electrical options.

+1 on the Andair fuel valve - much nicer than the standard one.
+1 on the Bonaco or similar hoses, both brake and fuel.

Consider a couple of access panels on the front deck to get at all the wiring behind the panel. Makes it WAY easier to get at stuff than upside down under the panel.

Standard cowl attach is with hinges. I used hinges on the bottom cowl and join lines, and camlocks on the firewall portion of the upper cowl.

Next time, I would go with the wing root fuel vents instead of having all that stuff going through the cabin. Plus faster and simpler installation.

Greg

I am totally sold on LED landing lights now that we have tried them out on the -3. WAY brighter than the HID's we put on the -8, and almost no power draw. more expensive - yes....but from the list you have show us, it doesn't appear that you are building to a particularly tight budget.

Paul

Sheepskin seat covers

Dave

I was going to put leather seats in. I now wonder if I should put in cloth and put the cover on top of those. I hate to put in leather and cover it. Seems counter productive. What do you think Dave/anyone?

Bob,
Pick up at least two of these. One on each tank. That Titan is thirsty.QUOTE]

Vlad, I saved the bugs from the last plane and I am transferring them. I hate to waste perfectly good bugs.

I am totally sold on LED landing lights now that we have tried them out on the -3. WAY brighter than the HID's we put on the -8, and almost no power draw. more expensive - yes....but from the list you have show us, it doesn't appear that you are building to a particularly tight budget.

Paul

Paul I have asked you about this I believe. I'm fine with those. Just thought the HID would be brighter. Do you know if there is a kit to mount those in the 7's wing (leading edge)? I asked Vans and there were like "uhhhhh..." They had all the HID info for me though. Love LED and they already have the wig wag built in so if you know off hand about mounting... Don't do research for me, just if you know.

Great stuff everyone! Please keep going, my list is growing. (There goes my mid-September finish time frame. Still gonna shoot for it!)

Paul I have asked you about this I believe. I'm fine with those. Just thought the HID would be brighter. Do you know if there is a kit to mount those in the 7's wing (leading edge)? I asked Vans and there were like "uhhhhh..." They had all the HID info for me though. Love LED and they already have the wig wag built in so if you know off hand about mounting... Don't do research for me, just if you know.

Subjectively, the LED's on Tsam are WAY brighter than the HID's we have on the Val. Installation? You buy the duckworks mounts without lights, and the modifications are trivial once you have built other parts of the airplane.

BTW, I do agree with Larry - don't get so obsessed with adding things that you forget about weight. We have a VERY comfortable seat in the RV-3 because we wanted to be able to fly long trips in her (like Louise's 1450 nautical last Sunday), but the seat foam is HEAVY - that is probably the single most "overweight" part of the airplane. Worth it in OUR trade-off scenario, but maybe not for others. Keep weight in mind.

Paul

I was going to put leather seats in. I now wonder if I should put in cloth and put the cover on top of those. I hate to put in leather and cover it. Seems counter productive. What do you think Dave/anyone?

Our cars have leather, my truck has leather, and our RV has leather. We prefer leather!:) We use small color coordinated towels folded over part of the seat, to step on, when getting into the plane.

L.Adamson

I would like to add quite a bit of lightness. Not many of the suggestions do that.

Hear hear!

Cool extras are like a disease. New builders get the worst case. Repeat offenders develop some immunity.

I'm not cured yet, but I hope to be after a few more builds ;)

BTW, re your question abut leather....it's nice and I'm not knocking it, but after looking at my empty weight and considering how most passengers will walk on it to get in and out, the new upholstery is 1000 denier cordura. Tough stuff.

I'd leave the leather off and use the sheepskin for the seats and backs, with cloth for the sides and fronts. Try to have the sheepskin anywhere your body will be in contact.

I've done this; it's very comfortable and attractve.

Dave

We have a VERY comfortable seat in the RV-3 because we wanted to be able to fly long trips in her (like Louise's 1450 nautical last Sunday), but the seat foam is HEAVY - that is probably the single most "overweight" part of the airplane. Worth it in OUR trade-off scenario, but maybe not for others.Paul

Seat foam is very important if you make long cross countries. I do not know what type/grade foam is best, but do not skimp here or go with an inferior product just to save a few ounces.

No one has spoken about panel goodies but I would suggest that whatever you do, any sort of data logging is a great thing. Most Efis systems have it, I believe. I would also suggest that a Koger sunshade is almost mandatory equipment, but easily done at any time. If doing a tip up an avionics cover is nice if you think you might be in the rain and I wouldn't/didn't put the canopy release on the panel. Auto pilot servos are easier to install during the build if you're going to have one but generally goes along with avionics decisions. If you think you might need extra gas capacity, do it during the build.

I am also really glad I installed nut plates in the two bulkheads that come up from over the spar by your knee, but at around sill level. I did them in the pattern for a RAM ball mount so i could easily and securely mount portable items on either side of the cockpit. Also, even though it is NOT blessed by the factory, ACCES PANELS on the top skin between the firewall and windscreen are a wonderful thing.

There's probably lot's more, but everything you add adds weight and often complication so be selective and try to be realistic about the flying you are likely to do. Maybe try to equip it not for everything you MIGHT want to do, but for the 90 percent of the flying you are LIKELY to do. I know...this flies in the face of the fact that we wouldn't be building an airplane if we weren't all inherently dreamers and nut cases:D

All Best

Jeremy Constant
Proud Nut Case

About weight.....

A very famous aircraft designer once said, "When thinking about adding options, take the option, throw it up into the air. If it comes back down, it's too heavy!"

Several things!!!

Since you are building a 7 slider how about the following?

JD Air tailwheel fork (lightest out there)
JD Air Steering link
JD Air fuel vents (Streamlined with alternate air hole)
JD Air Fuel sump covers
JD Air Pedal extensions
JD Air Slider canopy handle.

Heck, I'll even give you a little discount.

Seriously though, If you plan is fly a lot and long leg cross country make sure you have a comfortable interior. I highly recommend the Classic Aero package. I also agree with Paul on the lighting. The LED stuff is bright. I have the Aveo lights in mine and the landing lights are extremely bright. A neighbor thought my plane was a corporate jet landing because of the brightness.

Don't worry about weight too much. Build it the way you want. Dan has excellent words of wisdom on the add ons. Build as clean as you can. That will help offset the weight gain.

Good luck!!!

I would like to add quite a bit of lightness. Not many of the suggestions do that.

A very famous aircraft designer once said, "When thinking about adding options, take the option, throw it up into the air. If it comes back down, it's too heavy!"

"Simplicate and add lightness". I think it was the same designer:D

Jeremy

I'm not one to talk, considering how I am approaching the -10, but if I got the chance to build another two-seater, I would leave a lot of stuff out. I've got an autopilot I seldom use, an oxygen bottle I've used once, IFR capability I've never used, and so on. I could have saved both weight and money if I had been more realistic about how I'd actually use the aircraft.

I remember an earlier discussion when you were shooting for a september finish. Almost all of the items suggested can be added later. Keep in mind that a flying homebuilt airplane is rarely ever finished, there is always something to change. Many of the items mentioned are indeed useful features but most will add time and expense to your build. Run the wires now, do the lights later, fly with the foam seats only,no covers, finish glass work after the initial flight test period, etc. If you want to save time, money and weight then plan on adding items after you have flown for a while. You have built the plane, you can change it later if you still feel the need. Go with september, keep it simple.