avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Was wondering if some of you that have installed small handles of aft end of the read skirts of your slider to help opening the slider from the outside would mind posting some photos of how you mounted your handles.
Thanks.

Peter K
9A

This solution can be fabricated from aluminium angle It allows the canopy to be lifted at the rear with one finger. It doesn't require much lifting to get a canopy sliding forward.

I like the fact that it weighs virtually nothing, has minimal drag, and can be drilled to exactly fit any existing canopy holes.

This shot was taken before the pop rivets were pulled up.

canopy handle rear slider slide sliding

Slider external "handles" for lifting...

Peter,

Check out this page from my web site: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a049.htm The page previous to this one also talks about fitting the aft skirts to the canopy for a good fit to the fuselage skin. The third and fifth photos on the page show the little handles I fabricated to do the job. Each "handle" has three counter-sinked holes for the CS-4 rivets to hold it and the skirt together. The forward horizontal edge is tapered as you can see. What you may not be able to see is the vertical edge that has the three rivet holes in it is also polished at the same angle to give it the streamlined look and feel. The best part about these "handles" is they are "free" from left over scrap 0.063" aluminum angle from the kit.

DSCJ0134.JPG

DSCJ0136.JPG

canopy handle

Was wondering if some of you that have installed small handles of aft end of the read skirts of your slider to help opening the slider from the outside would mind posting some photos of how you mounted your handles.
Thanks.

Peter K
9A
I got a low profile chrome cabinet drawer handle from Lowe's DIY for very little cost. It is curved like an arc and fits flush to the side skins, screws were included, but I used some SS #8 phillips head screws to go through the side slider frame to attach the handle. Instead of at the rear of the skirt I placed mine at the forward end near the front slider bow. It lined up perfectly between the pop rivet callouts on the plans for attaching side skins to side canopy frame square tube. Can be easily replaced for painting or if the chrome starts peeling. Looks great.
Mike H 9A/8A