ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
So, I saw this a while ago as I was laying up my glass but I noticed that if my external handle happens to be facing forward when I close the slider, it contacts the windshield fiberglass in a big way.

DSCN0530.jpg

Now, my case is especially bad because my windshield stands proud of the slider by a large margin. I checked with a buddy of mine who also has a 9A and he never noticed it on his...until I mentioned it. He found some impact marks on his. You can see that if I have a brain fart once, I can make the fiberglass toast pretty quickly.

Does everybody have this to one degree or another? I wanted to check before I start hacking on my handle.

Thanks

If you always...

Hold the inside handle in a left-right postion when you close the canopy, you'll miss it. We also cut ours at an angle.

Best,

Hold the inside handle in a left-right postion when you close the canopy, you'll miss it. We also cut ours at an angle.

Best,

Yep, I understand that but on the off chance that you slam it shut from the outside and it happens to be forward, ouch! I was just wondering if mine is special or not. I'm going to hack the handle tonight.

Thanks.

It's a common problem. Undercut the handle to clear the fairing, don't just shorten it as you will decrease mechanical advantage of the lever. Don't for a moment think that you will always remember to keep it oriented to avoid a ding. You will eventually fail.

John Siebold

I can honestly say this has never been a problem for me. When my slider is being opened or closed, one hand is ALWAYS on the latch. Tough to move it otherwise. With the latch pointing forward, your fingers tend to hit the fiberglass before the latch. How many times would you make that mistake before you learned?

Erich