9Driver

After a recent experience with a dead battery on my 9A, i am curious as to the feasability of installing some type of external power setup. Has anyone out there done this on a completed RV? And if so how did you do it, and how was it connected (batery direct, additional relay, battery relay, etc.)?

Any comments or suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Are you looking for something that will allow enough current flow for jump starting, or just to charge the battery.

Quite a bit difference in what is needed for each.

Of course, if you set up to handle jump start loads, battery charger is already covered.

I am installing a pigtail that comes with the Battery Minder, shown to the right of the photo. Ring lugs hook directly to the battery, plug is polarized so it cant be hooked up wrong.

12118_product.jpg

The connector is fed through the baggage bulkhead (RV 10) and held out of the way with a bit of Velcro.

Search for jump start info, lots of it in the archives.

Hint, default in the search is time limited, tell it to look at any date.

Good luck.

Last edited:
My setup is simple, but it doesn't allow for a instant startup--- as with battery cables.

I have 12 volt cigarette type outlets on both sides of the cockpit. The one on the right, is wired straight to the battery, with a fuse right at the contactor connection. Then I wired the male end that fits in the outlet to my battery charger ----- positive only. The negative charger clip just attaches to a bolt on the airframe. It was just easier to leave the negative wire and clip alone. When not used for charging, this outlet is for a backup GPS.

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

Bob Knuckoll's has a good circuit to use, and a nice way to use the "Piper" jack (which is actually from the 18-wheeler world, so it can be gotten cheap...). Search the AeroElectric site, and you'll find his info.

Paul