Capflyer

Well Known Member
What are others using for an AC supplied external power supply so you do not run the battery(s) down. I have a battery power unit for jump starting the plane and it supplies 12V for basic stuff but does not have enough juice or time to effectively allow me to work with my EFIS and program my EIS system.

Thanks,
Mike R.

Might try a 12V power supply like an Astron. They can be set to put out 11-15V (or 22-30 if you want a 24V version). Available in many different outputs, with or without volt and amp meters, linear or switching mode versions. Available at Ham Radio swapmeets everywhere. I have a RS-12A that's run for over 10 years.

TODR

I use a 13.8V, 20A power supply from Pyramid. It's Chinese, but seems to do the trick. There are better 13.8V power supplies out there for sure.

Old PC power supply

Take the power supply out from your old PC, google the pin outs for the large 20 pin mother board connector and figure out which wires to connect to a switch to make it produce power (its been a while since I did mine), then take your pick from several 12v outputs. I'm told that its possible to tweak the output up to 13 or 14v, but I haven't figured that bit out yet, 12v has proved enough for me for the time being.

Pete

I started out using a tiny little 6 amp 12v power supply I had laying around, but once I wanted to start all-up testing, I needed more....went with a big Pyramid, and love it - great for shop/tech power whenever I need it.

Paul