wirejock

Well Known Member
Question:
When/if you primed, did you prime exterior surfaces at the same time? Would the paint shop be pleased or not?
Reason I ask...
My empennage was about five years old. It sat with the plastic coating in someone's garage. As I start building and removing it, I am finding corrosion near edge surfaces where humidity found a path under the plastic. My advice to anyone buying from someone else is to peel some back and look. I plan to remove it going forward. So is it ok to spray the exterior while priming the interior surface or would that present a problem for the painter who sprays the outside finish? If so, would it be advisable to at least shoot the exterior spots where I had to scotch bite out the corrosion? I don't want it coming back before the plane is finished. FYI I live in a very low humidity area and I'm using Sherwin Williams.

A good paint shop will stand by its work, but they can only do that if they also do the surface prep. e.g., be prepared to pay the shop to remove your primer.
Of course they do that all the time with not-new airplanes, so it's no big deal. Just added cost.

I concur with Bob, but the best answer, is to talk to the person that will be painting the aircraft and see what they prefer. Now would be a good time to start talking to painters and get their opinion on the subject. Our opinions don't count for much.

I had the same problem when I bought a used wing kit. I spot primed anywhere I removed corrosion. It's only a few small areas, so not really that difficult to deal with. Paint shops have some pretty nasty chemicals that eat old paint/primer right off the bare metal so it won't make much difference at the end.

spot prime

I had the same problem when I bought a used wing kit. I spot primed anywhere I removed corrosion. It's only a few small areas, so not really that difficult to deal with. Paint shops have some pretty nasty chemicals that eat old paint/primer right off the bare metal so it won't make much difference at the end.

Thanks
I think the best option is to spot prime the areas where I removed corrosion with Napa. It's easily removed and will protect those areas till my baby gets painted. She will look like my Beater for a while!

Also note that ...

....some of the primer products specify that finish topcoat is to be applied within a matter of x hours.

....some of the primer products specify that finish topcoat is to be applied within a matter of x hours.

Not a problem with the napa primer if you are just going to sand it off for real primer, and then yes, top coat with in X hrs, but my experience is that you want to wet sand the primer before top coat any way for a nice finish, and when you sand the primer, you can top coat at any time, exchanging chemical bonding (time frame) with mechanical bonding, ( no time frame)

Thanks
I think the best option is to spot prime the areas where I removed corrosion with Napa. It's easily removed and will protect those areas till my baby gets painted. She will look like my Beater for a while!

My RV6A was started in 1999 and has gone through three other builders. There are patches of red and grey primer all over the fuselage and miscellaneous other parts.

I feel like my aircraft is the RV equivalent of a "Rat Rod", until I get it painted.

napa

The Napa is just going over spots on the exterior skin surfaces where I removed corrosion. Since I had to scotch brite below the alclad, I wanted something to cover the areas for protection. It's just to protect those areas until the plane is ready for the paint shop. At that point, I or the shop can remove it for their priming and paint.