cesimon

I'm New Here
Anyone have any good ideas for installing a lock on a Tip-Up canopy. Planning on going with Classic Arrow complete interior so will have the side panels on interior side. I have the lock mechanism that came with ignition swithch but trying to figure a good way to implement.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 9a tipper. I used a low profile mini-cam lock. I mounted it below the side latch mechanism so that when the cam arm moved from the 3 o'clk to 12 o'clk position it goes thru a slot I cut in the lower angle support (for the release mechanism) and into the pilots release handle. This locks the release handle in place. Kind of hard to describe but I bet you get the idea. I will be at the airport today and will try to remember to take a pic or two to illustrate.

Cheers,

db

Tipup lock

I'm using the flush handles from Robbie Attaway, and did essentially the same thing as 'db', only I mounted the lock mechanism above the latch. The lever moves 90 degrees from pointing aft (unlocked) to pointing down, through the angle and into a slot in the big handle. I can also post pictures this weekend if desired.

Mine is the same as Dave's

But rotates the other direction 9 oclock to 12 0clock. Goes through my flighline interior. I work great. I saw this setup on someone else tipup at an airshow.

Kent

If you've already mounted the angles in the fuselage, adding a lock mechanism that requires slotting would be pretty difficult. At the same time, the cylinder mechanism may interfer with molded side panels offered by CAD. My lock consists of a hole drilled thru the latch arm protruding outside the fuselage. Use a padded padlock to prevent scratching your paint job. If you can't find an appropriately sized padded lock, use shrink tube. Like most good/simple ideas, this one isn't mine.
Terry

terrykohler said:
If you've already mounted the angles in the fuselage, adding a lock mechanism that requires slotting would be pretty difficult. At the same time, the cylinder mechanism may interfer with molded side panels offered by CAD.
Yeah, I decided to add the lock well after installing the angles, so I drilled the rivets and removed it, did the slot and reinstalled. The whole operation took an hour. One of the reasons I put the lock above the angles is that it is mostly hidden by the canopy rail channel and doesn't affect my Flightline Interior at all. I suspect that location would work with the molded side panels as well with little or no modification. It is a bit tricker to install the lock backing plate, but no worse than a number of other riveting jobs you've already done. There is also limited access for installing the nut that holds the lock.

terrykohler said:
My lock consists of a hole drilled thru the latch arm protruding outside the fuselage. Use a padded padlock to prevent scratching your paint job. If you can't find an appropriately sized padded lock, use shrink tube. Like most good/simple ideas, this one isn't mine.
Terry
My son did this on his 7A Tipup and says it works great. Quick and easy.

Dennis:
FYI, I live nearby in Auburn Hills and am based at PTK. If you're ever interested at looking, there's a couple of very nice RV7s (conventional and trike) also based there that belong to good friends.
Terry
[email protected]

SE MI RVs

terrykohler said:
Dennis:
FYI, I live nearby in Auburn Hills and am based at PTK. If you're ever interested at looking, there's a couple of very nice RV7s (conventional and trike) also based there that belong to good friends.
Terry
[email protected]
Oh have no fear, I plan to wander around at PTK one of these days, now that the weather is starting to thaw a bit. There are a number of RVs at 57D as well, where I will be based. I expect to need Ted Gauthier's services sometime this spring!

I don't use mine

I put a lock on my tip-up canopy but have never been able to come up with an appropriate time to use it, so I never have.

Would much rather replace a radio than a canopy.