apatti

Well Known Member
Anyone else have trouble installing their exterior canopy latch handle? I glued my canopy on with Sikaflex so I am guessing I have more space between the canopy and the frame than those who didn't glue. Now I find that there is not enough of a shaft exposed on the exterior for the handle to properly fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Exterior Canopy Latch Handle

Tony,
I used sika on mine also and it does take some of the space required away. You have to grind and shape your latch handle appropriately. The top part must be round to fit inside the canopy skirt and the pointed end must taper to clear skirt when closed. I'll post pictures so you can get the idea. Hopes this helps.

P8070002.JPG

P8070003.JPG

P8070005.JPG

P8070010.JPG

Good Luck!

My canopy is riveted on per the plans. The shaft on my canopy handle was too short so I had a machinist friend make an extension. The outside was machined to the same diameter as the shaft and was then stepped down to the interior diameter of the shaft. I match-drilled thru them and put a roll pin in. It worked great.

Karl

Exterior Canopy Latch Handle

I welded on a 3/4in long extension to the handle shaft & used a 1/2in id x 5/8 delrin sleeve to cover the exposed area. Looks neat enough.

John Moody

incremental fitting

I ground on the brass (bronze?) spacer that goes on the inside, and ground off the "step" in the exterior handle (at the hole) in order to get a little more room.

3 Handles

I am the proud owner of three handles. I glued everything as well plus used a Todd's canopy that adds a little more to the overall thickness In the end i added a 1/2 inch extension to the handle shaft. I used a 1/2 inch bolt cut the head off and turned it down in the drill press (no Lathe) roll pinned the extension in place the used a brass sleeve to hold in the roll pin and keep the handle in place. Grinding one down did not work for me.:D