Daniel S.

Well Known Member
General discussion topic here... What is your preferred method to extend component pig-tails to tie it into your electrical system? Hypothetically speaking, you are installing wing tip landing lights, those $400.00+ fancy-pants LED landing lights :D. Unfortunately, those lights only have 2 inches of wire coming out of the back for a pig-tail. The connector you need to tie into is a little over a foot away. What do you do? What is your favorite extension method? A but-splice, knife-splice, solider joint, molex, d-sub, new fresh ideas?

If the wires are easy to access and not subject to mechanical stress, my preference is to solder and shrink wrap 'em. Other than that, it would be a crimped butt joint.

Solder sleeves are your friend:)

My experimental friendly electronics mentor is a former Navy avionics tech and current GM of an avionics repair shop. He really likes solder sleeves. I had him get me a "starter kit" with instructions that I wanted to wire to certified standards or better and he got me many more solder sleeves than butt splices. About the same number of knife splices as butt splices.

Last edited:
Solder sleeves are normally used for shielded wires while butt splices are the "standard" for single wire splices.