Brantel

Well Known Member
One of our local RV10 builders made the local TV news last night.

I was contacted by a reporter from one of the local TV stations last evening on my way home from work. He was requesting to interview a local experimental aircraft builder/owner and requested a ride. I was not in a position to do it so I put him in touch with Sam Robinson the President of the Knoxville EAA chapter who has built and flys an RV10.

We have had a couple crashes of experimental aircraft in the area recently. This is apparently what drew the attention of the reporter. My fear was that this was going to turn into another experimental ambush but I think in the end it came out positive for experimental aviation.

Sam did an awesome job!

Last edited:
That's a good piece. It is so important to have a great spokesman like Sam that can explain the subject without sounding like a foolish risk taker.

This confirms what I've advocated for years. Establish a relationship with a local reporter, take them for a ride, offer to show them around the airport, of just give them your name and number if they ever need some help covering an aviation story.

This method works. "The media" wants to tell these stories and the average reporter probably knows his competition doesn't have the same access to a ride in the plane that he's got. Voila! An accurate story.

By the way, I sure which this wasn't in the "temporary" queue.

This is a perfect example of what the AOPA and it's us-against-them attitude don't get.

Your 100% right on your post Bob. Thanks for reminding us that there were 2 good guys in this news spot.

If a moderator can move the thread, please do....

Yes, nice to see some reporters get it right. In contrast,.....

There was a fatal crash at Half Moon Bay (just west of SFO) the other (early) morning. The news outlets universally described it as an "experimental" airplane, when in fact it was a european built S-LSA. (Aeropro CZA-240).

[Plane was found very close to the airport, where it hit a hill. Supposedly it departed around 5:50 am, sunrise here is about 7:20 am. I don't fly LSA, but I thought it was restricted to day only?]

Yes, nice to see some reporters get it right. In contrast,.....

There was a fatal crash at Half Moon Bay (just west of SFO) the other (early) morning. The news outlets universally described it as an "experimental" airplane, when in fact it was a european built S-LSA. (Aeropro CZA-240).

[Plane was found very close to the airport, where it hit a hill. Supposedly it departed around 5:50 am, sunrise here is about 7:20 am. I don't fly LSA, but I thought it was restricted to day only?]

[thread creep] Sport pilots are restricted to day VFR. A light sport aircraft can be flown at night or IFR by a rated private pilot if suitably equipped.

We also had a crash at Hensley air park recently where it was a LSA being reported as an experimental.