longranger

Well Known Member
I'm posting this here instead of the primer section on the assumption that some of the folks with actual experience may no longer look at that section.;) A search on 22860 didn't get any results.

I called my usual supplier for a current price on Variprime, and evidently you can't buy 615S or even the 625S (chromate free) primers here anymore. They offered CF-22860S as a replacement (the folks at the store called it a reformulation of Variprime, but that term isn't used in the tech sheet). I'm comfortable with the application and performance of Variprime, so I'm asking if anyone here has experience with this new primer, hopefully in addition to Variprime so they could offer a comparison.

I'm not too worried about the performance once applied (I trust DuPont's description), but looking at the tech sheet, they emphasize "continued agitiation" on a mixing machine that I don't have. Has anyone here used this stuff enough to know whether or not I can get good results just by keeping it well-stirred?

Also, the tech sheet for Variprime has gun setups for both conventional and HVLP guns, whereas the tech sheet for 22860 only offers a setup for HVLP. Does anyone know whether I could get away with using my old tried and true el-cheapo Harbor Freight conventional touch-up gun for this?

Any help appreciated!