mikehoover

Well Known Member
What oil temperature should I expect after a run-up for mag checks and a full static run-up lean out mag check with total engine run time of 6 minutes for this session? RV-9A, Lycoming O-320, fixed pitch Sensenich, Skyview read 110 degrees F after shut down, ambient temp around 75 degrees F.

Thanks!

oil temp

Mike,
It can take quite a bit of time to get the oil temps up to operating temperature. 110 F on the ground after 6 minutes is quite normal. I haven't been seeing operating temps (175 +/-) 'till I'm off the ground and on my way.

Jim Diehl #1976
5 hours into phase 1 and trouble free!
Lock Haven, Pa

Mike,

I don't do the run-up below 90* and take off as soon as that is complete.

The Lycoming manual states:

Lycoming said:
The engine is warm enough for take-off when the throttle can be opened without the engine faltering.

Nowhere in the manual can I find any reference to minimum take-off temperatures. If someone finds it, please let me know and I'll update this post.

Regarding CHT’s, here is what the manual has to say:
Lycoming said:
Never exceed the maximum red line cylinder head temperature limit.

For maximum service life, cylinder head temperatures should be maintained below 435*F (224*C) during high performance cruise operation and below 400*F (205*C) for economy cruise powers.

temperature

If the oil is at 70 degrees F it will flow easily and properly lubricate the engine. At or above 70 degrees F your engine is ready to use.

What oil temperature should I expect after a run-up for mag checks and a full static run-up lean out mag check with total engine run time of 6 minutes for this session? RV-9A, Lycoming O-320, fixed pitch Sensenich, Skyview read 110 degrees F after shut down, ambient temp around 75 degrees F.
Thanks!

Mike,
It can take quite a bit of time to get the oil temps up to operating temperature. 110 F on the ground after 6 minutes is quite normal. I haven't been seeing operating temps (175 +/-) 'till I'm off the ground and on my way.

Both of these sound about right, Mike, at least from my experience.