RV8R999

Well Known Member
Converting from C/S to F/P requires insertion of an expansion plug at the front of the crank shaft, in addition to piercing the rear most plug.

I've done the piercing but the expansion plug does not fit very tight within the crankshaft opening and can be easily removed..this does not seem right.

The Lycoming Service Instruction 1435 makes no reference as to how to correctly install this plug.

Anyone done this?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

No one has commented so far so I'll jump. I only did this one time, the details are fuzzy, so take what I say with a healthy measure of skepticism.

As I recall, after seating the (convex shaped) plug, a smart hammer blow or two focusing the energy on the middle of the expansion plug is required. To do this, I used a metal dowel, one end against the plug and the other end receiving the hammer blows. This action slightly flattens the plug and seals it around the crankshaft opening. At the time, upon an IA's recommendation, I smeared an optional paste of some type around the edges of the plug prior to its insertion, but I don't immediately recall what that material was.

Before you do anything based upon my recollection, you would do well to seek out true expert advice. Mahlon immediately comes to mind.

Thanks guys! Rick - I found several references for using loctight 515 as a gasket so maybe that is what you used.

Appreciate the help

Ken