AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folk,

I just intalled my lycoming IO-360 on friday:) now I want to install my hartzell prop but I have to remove the expansion plug that is in the center of crankshaft.

Any tip???, Do I have to hit with a hammer and where???, I dont want to do anything bad to my new engine:confused:.

Thanks!!!!

Crankshaft Expansion Plug

I had to remove mine from an 0-320 for the inspection AD on the crankshaft regarding corrosion on the fixed pitch prop applications. Did it with an A&P buddy by my side.

We took a center punch and hammer piercing the plug in the center of it. Then used a drift pin hit into the hole created by the center punch to rock the expansion plug and remove it.

It was a bit un-nerving hitting that expensive engine with a center punch and hammer so I was glad to have someone by my side who had actually done it before.

I found that as you hit the expansion plug it actually concaved it releaving its interference fit with the crankshaft and it came out quite easily.

Hope this helps.

Ted

plugs

You didn't state the origins of your engine, so be sure to clean the inside
of your crankshaft as well. Also check that the plug in the rear of the hollow
area is intact and no hole in it. Also lightly tap on the plug with a screw driver
to make sure it is seated well. I suggest taking pictures too. You don't want to wonder about the status of things once the prop is installed. closely inspect the O ring in the C/S hub and lube it up with fresh oil or Dow 4 silicone
lube like we use on the oil filter O rings. Good Luck.

Take a ball peen hammer and set the ball end against the plug.

Whack the other end of the hammer with a regular dead blow a couple times.

Then take a magnet and pull the plug right out.

Saw Don @ Don's Dream Machines do this and it worked great.

Used Engine Trouble

I bought a 0-360A1A that was overhauled 15 years ago, but looked to be in good condition. And it was right up to the point that I decided to punch the rear plug in the crankshaft. As I got my punch out and stuck it down the crankshaft hole and against the rear plug, there was something not right, the punch, without even being hit by the hammer started to penetrate the plug. Turns out the center 1/2 inch was completely rusted out. In the course of trying the get the plug out, some rust debris went back into the engine. It was also possible that there could be something that went down the oil passage tube in front of the rear plug, making it possible that something could get inbetween the front main bearing and the crank. I ended up taking the engine back off the plane and tearing it down. I learned alot in the course of this and still came out way ahead of buying a new engine. Tearing the engine down was a great experience and as luck would have it, when the engine was test ran 15 years ago, a piece of something got between the center main bearing and the crank and made some small grooves in the center main so we replaced that as well. All in all, this ended up being a $400 setback, I was lucky. Here are a couple pics of that rear plug, its amazing how a 5 minute job becomes a 5 day affair.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]