apkp777

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any experience with the load center that Vans sells. (EXP 2, rocker type).

I'd vote no

The EXP-bus on my plane is the only component that hasn't lived up to my expectations. I've had to modify the wiring to prevent nusance trips on both the nav lights and strobes. The electrical anunciator volt indicator is off, and the amp indicator is inop (I've redundant indicators). Installation was just as complex as standard wiring, maybe more since I remoted the switches. If I wasn't so busy flying I'd rewire today. In retrospect, I would have gone with the Nuckles (I know, sp?) electrical method. Get the "Aeroelectric Connection" and follow his directions and you will have a bomb proof electrical system, and you will understand the concepts under which it was designed. I went with the EXP because I had no experience with electrical systems and I thought it would be easyer and cheaper. It was neither.

I used the EXPBUS on my first RV. I followed Nuckolls' on my second.

I agree with Bill that the annunciator amp indicator is poor, but nuisance trips with lights were not a problem as long as you read the docs, and use the proper switch positions to ensure you are using the properly-sized polyfuses.

I believe it does save time to use the EXPBUS, but I also now prefer the Nuckolls individual switch philosophy.

The EXP-bus on my plane is the only component that hasn't lived up to my expectations. I've had to modify the wiring to prevent nusance trips on both the nav lights and strobes. The electrical anunciator volt indicator is off, and the amp indicator is inop (I've redundant indicators). Installation was just as complex as standard wiring, maybe more since I remoted the switches. If I wasn't so busy flying I'd rewire today. In retrospect, I would have gone with the Nuckles (I know, sp?) electrical method. Get the "Aeroelectric Connection" and follow his directions and you will have a bomb proof electrical system, and you will understand the concepts under which it was designed. I went with the EXP because I had no experience with electrical systems and I thought it would be easyer and cheaper. It was neither.

I have the EXP 2 with the toggles switches.
I too went this route for the same reasons as Bill. It was confusing to setup as I was not familiar with the electronics terminology.
I've been flying over 3 years and have had no problems or issues.
But, I would probably go the Nuckolls route if I was to do again as it would provide more flexbility.

Last edited:
BUY a Vertical Power

Buy a Vertical Power, Marc's product is far superior. Having installed two of the exbusses and been very disappointed, and three VP-200s with no disappointment there is no comparison.

I installed the EXP-bus in my -6A but operational experience has taught me...what's the point? At the time I thought it looked cool but that's about it. I will say this...located low on the instrument panel directly in front of me, at shutdown it is very easy to run my fingers along its row of rocker switches to verify everything is off. Still, I installed toggle switches with Klixon breakers in the -8.

I'll add my experience to the growing pile: I had one of these in my RV-9A (bought flying) and didn't like it. Wouldn't ever install one on purpose.

mcb

Works as advertised for me ...

Does anyone have any experience with the load center that Vans sells. (EXP 2, rocker type).

Got one in the RV6.

Has worked as advertised.

I have a "sort of" split buss arrangement using the rightmost three switches.
(For those with one, supply power there via 2nd battery, so to speak as I actually take it from my one battery at a place where I can add 2nd later.)

THe three right switches power Autopilot, AUX power and Clearance Delivery.
I can run any of these with the master OFF thus the "alternate bus arrangement".

Per strong recommendation from Jeff Rose, the electronic ignition has a dedicated switch and fuse straight to the battery.

The Annunciator panel works. The charge/discharge may no be exact but it lets me know when things are working and when they are not.

I recommended this to a friend years ago and helped him with his installation. He has had no problems either.

If you want more info and pix let me know and I will send offline.

Having said all that, my second RV is designed around the Aeroelectric "Z-14" approach. Different plane, different mission, different requirements.

James

I too have used the EXP bus but aren't planning to use one again on my lastest build.
It works as advertised the only problem I have had is when it got damp in the winter time the Avionics master wouldn't turn off. Now that I keep a dehumidifer in the plane during winter it's been fine.
By the time I had worked out all my electrical needs I don't think it really saved any time.
I separated the switches and remote mounted the unit as that way I could put things where I wanted plus the face on the unit just looked ugly.

Peter

Vertical Power

If you are looking for something to manage your loads, the Vertical Power products are very nice (already mentioned above). There are 3 models depending on how sophisticated you want to get.

VP-50 (Simpliest switch panel)
VP-100 (More advanced switch panel)
VP-200 (LCD screen with softkeys)

http://www.verticalpower.com/products.html

I'm using the VP100 on my setup and it's super easy to use. It's really nice being able to wire power for everything and then figure out later how exactly I want to switch the items on and off.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I called Stein today and ordered "Aeroelectric Connnection" and talked to them. I actually have a bit of experience wiring aircraft (R&E for UAL). Just like the simplicity of the load center. The "vertical power" seems a bit too exp right now. I think I am going to go ahead with traditional breakers/switches. Thanks to all your imput.