prkaye

Well Known Member
I have the Vetterman exhaust that came from Vans. There are sections labelled 2 and 3 (for cylinders 2 and 3) that fit together with slip joints and locking pins. These are welded to straight sections for cylinders 1 and 4. The ends of these sections are wider to accept a slip fit to sections 1A and 4A (that have to be trimmed by 1 inch for the O-320) that attach to the cylinders. But there is no mechanism for locking these slip fits (i.e. section 1A just slips into section 1, with no locking pin. Similarly for 4 and 4A). Am I missing something? How do these sections get secured together?

Last edited:
Once you bolt the whole thing to the cylinders, they're not going anywhere.... Nothing to worry about :)

They are a slip joint.............. and don't get pinned for that very reason. Look at others photos you will see how the jount is used.............

Except that in 2 other places the "slip joints" ARE secured with pins. The Vetterman documentation even refers to these as "slip joints secured with locking pins".

I guess the answer is that because of the configuration of them mounted on the engine, the two joints I'm asking about do not require the locking pins.

Next question - one of these slip joints isn't as snug as the others. Should I worry about exhaust gas leakage through it? Should I attempt to tighten it with a hose clamp? Should any compound or sealer be used in the slip joint?

Final question - what about the gaskets where they meet the cylinders... should I use any sealer or compound on these? Both sides?

Last edited:
Next question - one of these slip joints isn't as snug as the others. Should I worry about exhaust gas leakage through it? Should I attempt to tighten it with a hose clamp? Should any compound or sealer be used in the slip joint?

Just some anti-seize is all you need there. The exhaust gases are moving away from those joints at a high speed, and will exit thru the path of least resistance, which is the end of the tube. ;)

Final question - what about the gaskets where they meet the cylinders... should I use any sealer or compound on these? Both sides?

Nope...don't put anything on those gaskets. They are compression sealed.

Mouse Milk

Should any compound or sealer be used in the slip joint?
If I'm not mistaken, I think Vetterman recommends the use 'mouse milk' (and nothing else) to lubricate slip joints... a little squirt every time you're under the hood.

Last edited: