RV-4

Well Known Member
Hi All
I'm in need of a new exhaust system for my RV-4 to replace the old one ( Allan Toole Crossover ) that's installed right now.

Send an e-mail to Larry Vetterman and he is wondering why I prefer the crossover vs the 4 pipes.

I would like to get your comments on what you think is the best set up for an RV-4.

Any advantages of the 4 pipes vs the crossover?

My reasons for choosing the crossover so far is that I know it will fit without any cowling modifications..

Any advise or comments are welcome.

Thanks

Bruno Dionne
[email protected]

I had the same old crossover system on my 4 as you have. I converted to the Vetterman 4 pipe system with no problems at all.The only thing I have noticed is that my heat muff now only covers one pipe and there is not as much heat as before. No cowl mods needed in my case.

Check out Stephen Sampson's web site on building G-IKON. He went with the Vetterman 4 pipe system. You may have to search his site for what you need but here are some very good pictures and here is some relevant info that I have found already:

Take a look at the Firewall Forward section accessed from Stephen's Home Page:

G-IKON

Brief remark on the Vetterman Exhaust

Hope this helps

Exhaust system

Hello All
Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

538PG: Good cabin heat is a must around here as it might get cold fairly quickly.

I will have a look at the web site, thanks.

Cheers

Bruno

Vetterman 4 pipe

I have the Vetterman 4 pipe on my -4, and am very pleased with it. I only have about 100 hrs on mine, but all is tight and secure. I fabricated my own rear hangers, made from tubing, but the simple ones Vetterman shows on the install drawings are fine. Vetterman also has a connection with a company that makes a real nice heat muff that goes around both R/H pipes...I handmade a similar one that is nearly as big as a shoe box..I have flown in the 15-20 degree range ( no where near Canada temps!) but have way more heat than I need...I think you would be pleased with the system.

Bruno, I have a Vetterman 4 pipe on my RV-7. Can't really comment on how it will fit a RV-4 cowl, but it fits in close to my 360. I have the dual pipe heat muff described above. It makes good heat. I flew last week at 15*F in a sweat shirt and fleece hat. A couple weeks ago, the wife and I flew to breakfast, temp was about 20* with morning sun, we had to turn the heat off as it was getting a little warm in the cockpit.

Heat

Don't forget to put some very loose weave stainless steel wool inside the muff to slow down the air moving through while passing along more heat. You should have plenty.

4 into 1 noise on belly

In speaking with Skydynamics, they indicated that the 4 into 1 exhaust systems make a lot of noise in the cockpit. After my conversation with them I swung from wanting a 6:1 to probably going the 6:2 route. Evidently the single large exhaust reverberates on the forward bottom skin in RV's and makes the noise level nearly unbearable in the cockpit. Does anyone have direct experience with this or with fixes for the noise ??
In anticipation of this I have 2 extra bulkheads within the center tunnel (a la RV-4) that perform double duty; mounting the fuel pump and filter and stiffening the bottom skin. Anyone have any ideas that this will or will not work ??

Exhaust system

Hello All
Sorry for the late reply but I've been on the road..

It appears that almost everyone has installed the 4 pipes system vs the crossover and I still wonder why..

Was it due to simplicity of the installation , performance or just the look of it?:confused:

I presently have only one heat muff on the R/H pipe of my crossover and it does provide enough heat until early November here in Quebec but once the temp gets down to 5-10 degrees C ( 40-50 F ) it is barely sufficent so 2 Muffs might be the solution for me ( I have the steel wool inside the one I have on right now and will do the same with the new ones )

fixnflyguy: Would you have pictures of your installation that you could send me via e-mail so I can have an idea , I will appreciate it if you do, thanks ?

On the road again for the next few days ( The joy of an airline job ) so I would like to wish everyone the Best for 2012 ..

Thank you

Bruno
[email protected]

RV 4, I posted my question before I saw your post. I switched to the 4 pipe because my old exhaust was cracking, vibrating, and causing lots of problems. The sound is so much better, from the ground. It is just a lot better setup.

Cross over exhaust

Can somebody explain the advantage of the four pipes verses crossover exhaust pipes I now have. My bird was completed in 1989 with over 2000hrs flt. time on the Allen Tolle crossover exhaust. I had a small crack ten years ago at one of the junctions which was welded with no further problems. The system is smooth and the one heater muff on the right manifold has always been sufficient here in Colorado. I was under the impression the crossover helped in scavenging and smoothing the exhaust impulses. But heck, what do I know, my instrument panel still uses round dials.

RV-4 EXHAUST SYSTEM

Hello Hans
I've got the exact same set up that you have and I'm leaning toward the crossover for the same reasons....

I still haven't found the advantages of the 4 pipes vs the crossover...:confused:Are there any ??

Cheers

Bruno

Hello Bruno,

Based on various discussions concerning exhaust systems, I kinda go along with Van's original design concept of keeping it simple and light. Perhaps a more complicated and engineered exhaust system could extract a bit more power out of my recently overhauled engine. I am content with the Tolle system and believe in, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy and prefer to fly verses fiddling with systems.

160hp, swinging a wood prop and empty weight 900# makes for a very nimble and smooth ride. Still lovin it after 23 years and I wish I aged as well as my RV4.:)

Cheers

Hans