vfrazier

Well Known Member
My apologies if this is deep in the search topics somewhere.

I'd like to remove the brown staining from the exterior of the stainless steel exhaust stacks. Not from the belly... that is easy.... from the stacks themselves.

Anyone got a secret technique or product that won't hurt the pipes, nor remove my skin?

Vince, I have used a product called "Scrubs" made by Dymon Inc in Olathe KS. It is a polishing cloth for use on various metals. I used it to polish the stainless stacks on our KingAir E-90. Don't know if it is still available or not--we moved from the E90 to a Citation. The stacks on the 90 looked like chrome after polishing.

Skyking902001
RV-8 (in progress)

Intimidator

I've had good luck with Intimidator Micro-Diamon Pro Polish on motorcycle exhaust. Available at most truck stops.

Another couple of products that work pretty well are Blue-Away and Semi-Chrome polish. Both are sold in motorcycle dealerships.

Not sure what you expect the final result to look like, but WD-40 and Scotchbrite pads will leave a nice clean look.....not polished or chrome looking however.

Hmmm, Scotchbrite and WD-40 certainly meet my requirements for cheapness. And the others are reasonable too.

I was hoping for something like oven cleaner to remove the main "brown" and then follow it up with something to keep if reasonably bright.

I had found a few posts on other forums saying that toilet bowl cleaner, oven cleaner, various acids, etc. would work, but none of the posts seemed to claim actual experience.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

personally i like the aged look, 16 years old but would use any metal polish i could get my hands on. :cool:

Exhaust

Remove the system , buff with a sisal wheel and black compound .
Will look better than new , with about 2 hours labor .

Polish

How about Flitz?
I use it to clean the carbon deposits off my 357 stainless steel cylinder. They are pretty tougj to remove. Flitz works with minimal work.

Exhaust coating

Vince, after you get it cleaned to your satisfaction, STEWART SYSTEMS has a coating they claim will stay clear indefinitely on exhaust. Sorry I don't know how to post a link.