jthocker

Well Known Member
I should have known better.
On my past airplanes I've used the Vetterman exhaust since they have been available, and they have always fit and performed flawlessly. While at Sun N Fun this year, shopping for repacement goodies for the RV8 I had just sold, I became mesmerized by a large shiny object. It was a chrome plated exhaust system from AWI (an advertiser on this forum). It was beautiful, it had a rather robust looking cabin heat muff, with the welded studs inside.
I had just gone thru the not enough heat to the back seat of an 8 saga where I finally used 2 heat muffs in series. The price difference seemed to be about $250.00 more for the AWI but maybe I could get by with 1 heat muff. So maybe 150 to 175 more now, and that thing was gorgeous.
I ordered one. It came. No CHROME! I call. They say, "that was just for the show, chrome extra!" Disappointing! Also the carbheat muff was missing.
They finally agreed to send me one.
Now fast fwd to last week. I attempted to fit this 4 into 1 system on my Carbed O-360 standard sump RV8. The 2 front cyl. pipes both were contacting the carb on each side.The collector was tight up against the bottom of the firewall. If the collector was to be moved down at all, the pipes would have contacted the carb air box. Clearly this thing would require major rework to make it fit. I'm not interested in that.
I was told that they had only done a fuel injected RV8 and that they didn't realize the exhaust wouldn't work on a carb.
So, the exhaust is on it's way back to AWI, and a check is in the mail to Larry Vetterman.
Larry is a great guy, an RV guy, stick with Vetterman Exhaust.
I should have known better!!!

Same here

I too ordered the 4-1 for my 7 w/superiors new alum forward facing sump. I had clearance problems with the #1 and 3 pipe hitting the servo arm and boss on the sump. Could use a little more on the #2. I have not installed it on the airframe w/engine yet. I did talk to John @ AWI and have sent it back with the intent of them doing a redo. They were very helpful and seems to be able to correct my concerns. I am not flying yet so I do not mind too much on a little R&D. Just didn't know that I would be paying list price:). I have all confidence that they will make it right. I have talked with several customers of theirs and have received good reports. Regardless of the research sometimes it seems that they are ganging up on me! There were some other concerns on the pipes but seems that they are addressing them as they arise. Unfortunate for us.:(

Mods

Not flying yet.
Before buying AWI's 4 into 1 system, inquiries were made about reports of belly skin cracking in vicinity of exhaust outlet. At that time, AWI said they had no troubles with that.
Apparently since I bought this exhaust system, AWI has gotten reports of trouble and has come up with a modification of the tail pipe exhaust.
I sent mine in, for modification, and received it back today.
The photos show before and after.
It appears to be a very well built system.
engge5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
pipeec3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Clearly this thing would require major rework to make it fit. I'm not interested in that.
I was told that they had only done a fuel injected RV8 and that they didn't realize the exhaust wouldn't work on a carb.

Now that's weird that they would say that... I bought my 4 to 1 system from Aircraft Exhaust Technologies a couple of years ago; AET was later bought by or merged into AWI's operation. My system from AET fit my carbed O-360 just fine out of the box with no real clearance issues. It would seem to me that if AET had a system that fit, AWI should have it as well. hmmm.

Weird

I also talked to AET awhile back and looked at their website. They showed the exact same picture of AWI's exhaust setup. Curious I called them and asked them about their exhaust and the same look of AWI's ( I didn't know that they sold out) and they said that they couldn't help me and to go to Vetterman's site. That was weird. Oh well, I did buy the AWI's unit and it came with the turndown already fabricated, but I have sent it back for some modifications (fit issues) to address.