AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I was hoping to get some insight into what seems like a somewhat common exhaust popping problem. I read all the threads I could find but they all seem to relate to closing the throttle on final, and that being the cause. The problem I am speaking about occurs on downwind when the CS prop and mixture are pushed full forward, while still under some lower power setting (maybe 1500rpms??). The the exhaust will pop/rumble repeatedly for a good 10 seconds or so before it quiets down. I didn't notice any power issues but the plane was in a slowing configuration at the time.

The engine is an O-375 with a Hatzell prop and dual mags. The idle speed is around 800-850 rpm. I don't know the exhaust.

Thanks! Andy

This is exhaust scavenging. Normal. The RPM does not indicate your level of power. The "Popping" can happen at any RPM, but it comes with a closed throttle, or very nearly closed. Most common with an injected motor and cross over exhausts, but is found on most any type.

This is exhaust scavenging. Normal. The RPM does not indicate your level of power. The "Popping" can happen at any RPM, but it comes with a closed throttle, or very nearly closed. Most common with an injected motor and cross over exhausts, but is found on most any type.

OK, So it sounds like I might be in the same "closed throttle" categoy as everyone else, I just happened to trip that scenario earlier in the pattern?

That's comforting. Thanks!