Paul K

Well Known Member
Its Saturday and I cant find the torque value for the Exhaust nuts. I've searched the forums with no results and can't find any Vetterman or ECI documentation in my files. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am really hoping to get this done today. Anyone?

Don't know if I can use standard torque values or if exhaust torques are unique? Also should I use any type of compounds on the threads?

Paul, I don't have the book in front of me but (from Tony Bingelis books), I've been using 170 inch-pounds on the exhaust nuts for the last 12 annuals. I've not used any compound on the threads :D Rosie

Hello Paul,

Dug out the exhaust paper work here for you…..

Vetterman Tips for Installation says = Tighten the exhaust nuts to 100 to 140 inch pounds. Remember to re-check the torque on them during later inspections.

Vetterman Exhaust Systems Tips says = Check the torque on the exhaust stud nuts. It should be 100 to 140 inch lbs.

Phone Vetterman at 605-745-5932.

pk

EDIT....

I was at 130, glad this came up….

So checking http://vettermanexhaust.com/

Under FAQs….

What is the correct torque on the exhaust flange bolts?
We recommend 140 to 180 inch pounds. Anytime the exhaust is removed the internal star washers need to be replaced. The blow proof gaskets can be used again when reinstalling the system.

Maybe Larry Vetterman will post here with more information ?

[email protected]

pk

Last edited:
Helpful Hint

Use a sharpie and write down the torque values on the baffles for the things we need to remember during annual like Sprark plugs, etc

Hello Paul,

Dug out the exhaust paper work here for you?..

Vetterman Tips for Installation says = Tighten the exhaust nuts to 100 to 140 inch pounds. Remember to re-check the torque on them during later inspections.

Vetterman Exhaust Systems Tips says = Check the torque on the exhaust stud nuts. It should be 100 to 140 inch lbs.

Phone Vetterman at 605-745-5932.

pk

I had been using the 140 in lbs for a couple of years - since that's what was in the Vetterman documentation that came with my system. But this is NOT the correct torque.

My brother, Walt, insisted that it should be more like 170-180 in LB. I showed him the info I used and he proceeded to call Larry Vetterman directly. Larry stated the the 140 number was in some of his old instructions and that 170 to 180 is correct.

Rosie, I thought your number sounded a little high until I tightened the nuts to 140 in lbs. didn't hardly draw the lock washers tight. Took them to 170 and they
looked better and felt better, I know, not very scientific!

Rick, thanks for confirming.

Wayne, dang it! I just placed an order from Spruce and forgot the mouse milk!

Thanks all.

Exhaust torque

The correct torque value for the exhaust studs is 180-200 inch lbs. This is enough to make the star washer bite in to the exhaust flange and the nut so that it won't back out. It also is a good idea to put some anti-seize compound on the studs so that you can get the nuts off of the studs instead of the studs coming out of the cylinder.
This is what is currently in the exhaust hanging instructions.

I personally use 180 as a set point, with the 10% tolerance of most torque wrenches this will get you in the correct range (you don't want to over torque old studs). And use some nickle antiseize (or something) on the treads.