elippse

Well Known Member
Here are some considerations relative to exhaust systems on the perceived noise in the cockpit. Our planes typically have broad areas of composite or sheet metal panels in the region under the cockpit. These panels can become excited into resonance by the pulsations and harmonics in the engine exhaust. The speed of sound in the exhaust is considerably higher in the hot gases in the pipe. As a result, when the sound wave traveling down the pipe reaches the abrupt, cut-off end, it is reflected back in-phase toward all of the exhaust valves connected to that pipe - two, four, or six, - depending on the number of cylinders and the number of pipes. There will be resonant frequencies at those individual pipe lengths going back and forth between the end of the pipe and the exhaust valve or piston. Because the exhaust pulse is not sinusoidal but has a fairly sharp rise time, it will be rich in harmonics that will also seek their various resonances. But if the exhaust pipe is cut off at an angle at its output, two things will occur; one, there will not be a definite sharply-defined length for the resonance to occur, and second, the sound wave will undergo refraction at the slant surface, causing the noise to be bent away from the pipe. From the first effect, the noise energy spectrum will be spread over a wider range, resulting in less energy at any particular frequency and thus lower noise amplitude. From the second effect, if the exhaust pipe is pointed back at just a slight angle to the fuselage, the gas flow will be to rear, giving, if not thrust, at least less drag. And by having the slanted cut on the bottom and slightly toward the outside, the noise will be directed down and out to the side, away from the bottom of the plane's broad bottom, keeping cockpit noise levels lower. Some exhaust systems try to achieve the same noise-reduction effect by turning the exhaust pipe sharply downward at the outlet; this can have several deleterious results. The downward exhaust pipe sticking out into the free-stream causes drag, and the downward gas flow interferes with the smooth rearward flow coming off the bottom of the cowling, generating turbulence which also increases drag. Depending on the orientation of the pipe aperture to the freestream, it can also cause a low pressure at the outlet which may result in more crossflow across the cylinder from intake to exhaust, resulting in fuel mixture in the exhaust which ignites and causes backfiring, often falsely attributed to incorrect timing from a magneto or an EI.

Last edited:
I do not notice a harmonic in my craft, but it is pretty loud inside and I am told by ground observers that it is noticeably louder than other aircraft while in the air.

Are you suggesting that both of these types of sound will be lessened or just the perceived interior noise?

Do you have a suggested angle to cut the exhaust stubs, or is there not really any optimal angle?

Just in case it matters I have the conventional crossover type exhaust with about 16? stack stubs terminating near the firewall.

Thanks, Tim.

It's Not the Exhaust

Larry Vetterman has been fighting the exhaust pulse noise on floorboards myth for years. People were complaining about "exhaust pulses on the floorboards". He finally built extended tailpipes that terminated behind the luggage bulkhead. This did not affect the noise/vibration issue. Then they created a subcowl fairing that removed the noise and had the side effect of being 4 knots faster.

Hans

The exhaust pipes in my 6A are a lot more straight back, than most installations that angle down more. And it turns out, that my "heavy" 6A is fast. Must be the added thrust & less drag! :D

L.Adamson

I do not notice a harmonic in my craft, but it is pretty loud inside and I am told by ground observers that it is noticeably louder than other aircraft while in the air.

Are you suggesting that both of these types of sound will be lessened or just the perceived interior noise?

Do you have a suggested angle to cut the exhaust stubs, or is there not really any optimal angle?

Just in case it matters I have the conventional crossover type exhaust with about 16? stack stubs terminating near the firewall.

Thanks, Tim.

The longer the slant angle, the more it will be refracted or bent away, and also the wider will be the noise spectrum and lower the noise level at any particular harmonic frequency. I obtained five different types of sound-proofing materials from E.A.R. Specialties in Indiana. They make sound-proofing materials for aircraft and used to have available a catalog that gave the characteristics of each type and its use in a plane. I put some of their material on the bottom of the cabin and on the bottom of the inner portion of the wing, as well as on the cabin sides, the baggage compartment, and the firewall. Since I have noise-cancelling headsets, I'm really not aware of the cabin noise level, however a friend that had a similar Lancair removed his headset and said that the noise inside was less than his, and it wasn't uncomfortable. However, when you first remove an NC headset, the noise is terrible because your ears have relaxed the muscle that controls noise to the inner ear and so they are at their highest sensitivity, and it will take a while for them to clamp down. That's also why the actual noise reduction of a headset isn't what the specs show, because even though the spec value is true, the apparent value is less because the ear opens up when the noise decreases!

I like exhaust noise. It's when it quits making noise that I worry:rolleyes:.
I've put a slant on my tips. The noise levels did not noticeably change much if any but it definitely changed the pitch. It sounds different and I have got a lot of comments about it's sound. :D

As far as cockpit noise. It's mostly the air off the prop drumming the skins. I've got much more noise reduction from insulating the side skins and firewall.

What kind of pitch change did you get, and what kind of comments did you get? Do you have a two-blade or three-blade prop, since more blades have greater mass flow and less downwash velocity for a given thrust.

Two blade Catto.

Comments like- it sounds different than everything else, stuff like that. Definitely sounds different than the other rv's on the field around me. Real scientific ehh :rolleyes:

As someone has said, "Science is as science does". Since there are others to compare it to on the same field, it must be valid!

As someone has said, "Science is as science does". Since there are others to compare it to on the same field, it must be valid!

With Larry's straight 4 pipe system, the reports around here are there is nothing like it . It talks airplane talk like only an RV can do.

The pipes have not been cut off (yet) and since they do not leave a smidgen of exhaust stain or oil on the fuselage bottom, it will stay that way for now. Could be a drag penalty, but it isn't much as the airplane exceeds Vans numbers by a knot or two on a good day.

Cabin noise is less than with the Subaru H6 with a muffler and with Zulu it is very comfortable. The noise cancel headsets are probably designed to cancel Lycoming noise and not other engine noise.

(wish it would stop raining for a month or so, man is it wet, grass is growing an inch an hour:))

Last edited:
Cabin noise is less than with the Subaru H6 with a muffler and with Zulu it is very comfortable. The noise cancel headsets are probably designed to cancel Lycoming noise and not other engine noise.

That appears to be correct. A friend with the Subaru H6 is insulating his 8's cockpit because ANR headsets will not cancel the engine's particular frequency.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Paul

Do you think the slash cut will effect the efficiency of the exhaust augmentor? My round 4 into 1 exhaust collector will be in the center of the cooling outlet nozzle?

I would rather not cut the only collector I have to test. MMM, I just finished building my 5 channel pressure measurement sensor board. Maybe I can build a 1/4 scale mock-up and test it with various angle cuts and use a poor man's wind tunnel (roof of a car). :)

I am not overly worried about the noise as I sprayed the floors with Silent Running vibration foam and also have a layer of the EAR foam.