jimgreen

Well Known Member
Couldn't find a thread on this. Are the metal exhaust gaskets once use only?
I'm thinking that my pipes will probably need to come off at least once during the build. Probably shouldn't crank them up tight at this point.
Also, what do people use for wrenches for the hard to reach inside studs?
Thanks.

Couldn't find a thread on this. Are the metal exhaust gaskets once use only?
I'm thinking that my pipes will probably need to come off at least once during the build. Probably shouldn't crank them up tight at this point.
Also, what do people use for wrenches for the hard to reach inside studs?
Thanks.

I am sure that Bob's statement about using the gaskets once is backed up by the manufacturer. However, it seems that you were asking about installing the system for the build and having to remove it for final assembly. The spiral wound gaskets will not suffer during this process, and I would have no problem leaving them on at final assembly. You are correct that you do not need to tighten them to the final torque until you are ready to run.
If I remove a system that does not have many hours, and under close inspection the gaskets show no signs of significant wear, I will reuse them. At $8.00/ea, you don't want to trash them unnecessarily. I have done this for years, and have had no ill effects. HOWEVER...If the gasket has shown any signs of leakage, it should be replaced. If the engine has some time on it, make sure that the surface of the exhaust port is smooth. Also, do not be tempted to use a high-temp sealing compound in an effort to get a complete or better seal. Do not waste your time with the thin stamped gaskets!
With regard to the best tool to use, I have a set of 1/4 drive Snap-On "wobbly" sockets that are fairly thin walled and work great for the exhaust and intake nuts.
I use a dab of C-5A compound on the threads when installing the nuts to keep the threads from sticking. I am sure that the compound dissipates over time, but it does help when you need to remove the nuts.
Once again, this is my opinion only, and your mileage may vary.

aeroinstock.com has them for about $3.50 or so.

I have reused them, but the ones I reused leaked. As long as you don't torque the nuts on you should be ok. One other thing I do that works great, is I goop up the gasket with red RTV. It helps make a perfect seal and won't burn off.