jchang10

Well Known Member
I just noticed this on a couple of cylinders. It is a bit of grey or white discoloration around the exhaust port. It looks like the exhaust must be leaking in this area? 270 hours on engine. nuts are torqued to at least 100 in-lbs.

Any recommendations? Should i just replace the gaskets? With or without sealant? Or just torque the nuts down more?

I am pretty sure this gasket was installed dry without any sealant or RTV.

Thanks for the input!

Jae

20130712_154614.jpg

20130712_154639.jpg

Doesn't look like a leak to me, torque the nuts to 160 -180 in/lbs and keep an eye on them (not sure where you got 100 from but that is not correct.

EGT hose clamp appears to be hung up on something? It should be snug on the exhaust pipe, all the way around.

ok, thanks. I'll snug it up more, clean and watch it. I will probably go ahead and pull it all off and replace the gaskets eventually.

oh that is just the tail of the hose clamp which is just hanging loose.

i just got a chance to review the vetterman instructions, and they clearly say tighten to 140-180 inlbs and to check the torque periodically. i will have to add this to my condition inspection checklist, which i don't think is on there now. it does seem to me that the nuts have loosened up since it was first installed.

thanks again!
Jae

Last edited:
i just got a chance to review the vetterman instructions, and they clearly say tighten to 140-180 inlbs and to check the torque periodically thanks again!
Jae

The original instructions I received from Vetterman specified 140 in lb. I mentioned this to Walt one day (since I'm lucky enough to have my plane in his hanger) and even showed him the Vetterman instructions. Walt called Vetterman and bottom line is that some of Vetterman's printed instructions incorrectly specified 140 in lbs.

I ran with 140 in lbs for about 3 years (checking torque every 50 hrs) with no problems. After Walt talked to Larry, I bumped the torque up to 180 in lb.