Blain

Well Known Member
I call it a warp but it almost looks as if it was heat distortion when welded.
I plan on draw filing it as much as I can. What is the best gasket that spans the full flange? It had the steel gasket with no leak o ring but it allowed the flange to pull down when torqued.

Torqued flanges is what usually cause this. The "spiratallic" gasket you had I believe is the most tolerant. This is really common. The flanges are fairly ductile. Find a good firm surface and a way to brace/hold it there with the flange down. Then use a blunt punch or a well blunted air chisel (you can use an intermediate block to avoid scars). That should knock it most of the way flat and then finish the face with your favorite tool. Draw file, stone, other file or a 3 inch fiber wheel if you're steady eddie.

Find a good firm surface and a way to brace/hold it there with the flange down. Then use a blunt punch or a well blunted air chisel (you can use an intermediate block to avoid scars).

Rivet gun with flat face?

Shaping the metal part

Warm it up with a torch and hammer it flat. For a very flat surface file the surface then sand it using a steel or aluminum block that keeps the sandpaper flat against the surface.

Give me a call

Hi Brian, the blo proof gasket will offer the best sealing for an uneven flange, but yours looks to be too warped to seal properly. The best solution is to file the face back flat, but I'm curious to know why it is warping like that because that is just something we don't see with a 1/4" flange. At any rate we are glad to re face the flange. Clint/ Vetterman Exhaust

PM me

Hi Brian, the blo proof gasket will offer the best sealing for an uneven flange, but yours looks to be too warped to seal properly. The best solution is to file the face back flat, but I'm curious to know why it is warping like that because that is just something we don't see with a 1/4" flange. At any rate we are glad to re face the flange. Clint/ Vetterman Exhaust
Thanks Clint. Hit me with a PM and I'll call you.